Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Knox Knox. Who's There?

Comment poster "Free Forester" just left this under my "Mr. Spox" post from 2010:
Like son, like father. I was on the same old merry-go-round with Neal Knox two decades ago. The NRA has an abysmal track record when it comes to liberty, and the Knox family, for all the talk of the "Knox Rebellion", are traditional water-bearers for the Necrotic Republican Apologists. NRA-ILA started out as compromisers and mutated into Quislings.
If I may:

I'm posting your comment here instead of there because it's very rare that someone goes back and reads blog posts from three years ago. If Kurt hadn't just linked to that old post, it would have remained buried. I'd expect someone who established a blog in 2007 to realize that, but then again, looking at your content, I guess not.

The other reason your comment doesn't qualify for posting there is I do not let my articles get hijacked.  I said nothing about the Knox family and neither did any of the other comment posters. They were not the topic of the conversation I was inviting readers to have. If you have an axe to grind with them, tell them, not me, or if you are going to tell me, do it on a post related to them.

As a personal aside, while I value appropriate anonymity and am well aware of "Publius" and other even more needful examples, if I'm going to make public statements critical of others, I don't hide behind a screen name. I guess that colors how I perceive people who do.

8 comments:

JeffKnox said...

Dad often used the term "herding cats" to describe being a leader in the rights movement. I tend more to the George Carlin example of drivers on the highway. To paraphrase, there are 3 types of drivers: Idiots, Lunatics, and Good Drivers. The Idiots drive slower than me, the Lunatics drive faster than me, and I'm the only Good Driver on the road. Many, if not most, rights activists seem to carry that attitude. It makes working together difficult sometimes.
We do our best to be effective at preserving and restoring rights. We criticize NRA when we think they're off track, and we support them when they do what we think they should. We intend to keep doing that, and we encourage others to do the same.
Jeff Knox, Director, The Firearms Coalition.

David Codrea said...

For some reason, this comment by Kurt Hofmann did not appear after I OK'd it:
I bet Jeff and Chris will get a kick out of this.

Mack said...

David,

Good of you to post this.

Still, isn't it a shame that it was even necessary.

Chris said...

It just occurred to me that maybe "Free Forester" is confusing Chris Cox with me. No, the ED-ILA job is not an inherited title, thank God.

Chris Knox

David Codrea said...

Chris, I just got an email from the guy and he made mention of several references to Chris Knox to where he didn't think he was being off topic, so I believe you may be right.

I wrote him back and asked.

He knows how to reply here if he wants to engage.

LiberTarHeel said...

I could blame lack of coffee, but I fear it was just an attack of Oldtimers. I get cranky about the ILA, and I apologize for taking it out on the Knox family. I have nothing but respect for Neal Knox (GRHS) and, even though he and I disagreed often, we always treated each other with respect. I do not know the Messrs Knox - Chris or Jeff - (though I do read both of them regularly). I apologize to both for my momentary lapse of reason. In fact, I do know the difference between Mr Cox and Mr Knox, though that distinction managed to escape me long enough to profoundly embarrass myself. I clearly jumped the tracks of comprehension, logic, and especially civility. Consider me properly chastened. I shall endeavor to read more and talk less in the future.

David Codrea said...

Let's all be pals.

JeffKnox said...

Well, that was fun.
What shall we do next?
Jeff