Friday, March 21, 2014

We're Number One ... Uh ... Not Quite

What displays are the top ten spots for each category. I typically place somewhere in the middle column along with Dave and Kurt, and we regularly migrate over to the column on the left. As for the column on the right, I just can't crack the top ten, as dogs, celebrity fitness and video games seem to be what are on the "minds" of most of our countrymen.

Part of the problem involves the Examiner website itself. I continue to receive complaints about pop-ups and autoplay videos, along with accusations of spreading malware and unnecessarily hostile parting words about never returning.

All I can say is, it doesn't happen to me with Firefox and ad block, and Examiner isn't the only website that uses such aggressive (and admittedly obnoxious) revenue-generating schemes to keep the lights on. It would seem to everyone's advantage if we all took the time to learn how to safely and responsibly surf the web without having our browsers hijacked, and that ought to be considered just basic standard practice. Or do people think learning and practicing self-defense doesn't extend in this, as well?

In case anyone hasn't noticed, we're in an ideological civil war that looks increasingly like it could go hot. To show up for virtual muster without mastery of equipment, accoutrements and skills is the virtual equivalent of attending a real one with the same insufficiency.

To those who won't, good luck getting the information a handful of us provide elsewhere.

And to all who think I should just move to a "better" site, I'd be grateful if you could help me do that.  The reality is, the only gig a guy like me could ever get with a "legitimate media/ Authorized Journalist/ real reporter" newspaper would be delivering them.

2 comments:

Cargosquid said...

If I can figure out how to use ad block....ANYONE can.

I didn't even know that the Examiner was supposed to have these problems. I never see these things.

SharkBait said...

No problems on this end, boss. Anyone operating in and about the intarwebs today should utilize some of the many (and free) tools available to ensure their security and enhance their browsing experience. a little due diligence goes a long way.