Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Bear Necessities

I don't need to outrun the bear. I only need to outrun you. [More]

John Comeau reminds his Facebook followers of that, and notes it's not so funny when it happens in real life.

I'm glad that when I had my surprise evening black bear encounter years back, I had a gun. I don't claim that's what persuaded it to leave me alone, but I do believe it probably had some bearing on my demeanor, and that could have had the effect of allowing me to draw, take aim, talk gentle and low, slowly back away, and get the kids in the cabin. I'm also pretty happy that when I initially yelled in shock on seeing the thing 20 feet away, it sounded more like a roar and less like a screaming little girl. And I'm delighted that I didn't have to find out if what I had to stop it with would be "enough."

Finding out later two idiot city women had been leaving food scraps for it on the ground and watching from their balcony did not sit well with me at all.  If I had to bet, my money says they'd have been horrified at the thought of a nearby "gun nut."

3 comments:

John Otis Comeau said...

your experience with the black bear is almost identical to mine with a bull while out hiking in the desert one day. as you indicated, it may well have been the confidence gained by carrying deadly force that defused the situation.

David Codrea said...

Plus, you gotta admit, we're pretty damn manly.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Patel died as intended by the mudbags who run NJ, defenseless against any predator, 2 legged or 4.