Tuesday, March 03, 2015

About That Ft. Jackson Ammo Pull Tip

I finally tracked down this tip.

Bottom line is, I talked to the counter guy, who didn't want to give me any information aside from talk to his boss, and after getting nowhere, finally messaged the Commanding General's Facebook page.  They gave me the name and number of who I needed to talk to at the Public Affairs Office. He called me this morning and educated me that kind of stuff is all handled by AAFES, which is a separate command, and he gave me a name and number there.

The AAFES guy checked with the buyer and said no one knew a thing about it, there had been no change or order to discontinue/pull anything, and it may just have been a temporary stock outage, but it should be back on the shelves.

How the misunderstanding happened to where my source said such conflicting information was given to him is unknown, but for now, barring any new developments, I've carried this one as far as I can. I'm going to go back to my source and invite an update comment.

There's an object lesson here about passing on unverified information, and also about the urge to make assumptions and take risks to get a "scoop." I was tempted to escalate attention to this "story." In this case, caution appears to have paid off. Next time, it may not.

For now, Emily Litella would like the last word.

No comments: