Friday, April 08, 2016

Voyage to See What's on the Bottom

[Click to enlarge]
What with the hours I work and demands on time I don't write about here, I generally finish up late and turn on the tube to just veg out for a bit before sleep.  Right now I'm catching up on "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," which I used to watch back in the Sixties.

Feral sons Uday and Qusay think it's a hoot that we had shows like that taking place in the "future" years of 1970s and 80s. "Voyage" actually had some thoughtful episodes, especially in the black and white era before much of it devolved into cheesy special effects and hokey monsters, like much of the -- face it -- dreck Irwin Allen produced.

Long story short, I found a Richard Basehart commemorative site that has posted another fond memory, back from the days when I was a Mad Magazine regular, their "Voyage to See What's on the Bottom" parody.  You'll probably either think it's childishly stupid or funny.  If you're like me, you'll think it's both, and enjoy it all the more because of that.

I don't know what "netiquette" is for a link that appears to go to a directory instead of a content page, so I'm not going to make this link hot. If you want to see more, copy and paste it into your address bar.

http://www.richardbasehart.com/images/vttbots/mad/

2 comments:

Joel said...

Huh. I seem to remember Mad Mag being funnier than that.

David Codrea said...

To each his own.