Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The John Doe Times

My first mention of Mike Vanderboegh on this blog was when I reposted his "You Can't Repeal the Law of Unintended Consequences" as a guest editorial. I began posting more and more of his stuff, but WarOnGuns is my journal and I soon was pressuring him into starting one of his own. He introduced Sipsey Street Irregulars in November 2008.

Before I'd ever heard of Mike he was posting on another effort, an internet newsletter called "The John Doe Times," focused among other things on the Oklahoma City bombing.You can find references to it on SSI, but Malwarebytes blocks his links to Constitution.org. I don't know what causes that (although it wouldn't surprise me to learn some would rather people not read it), but do note putting such links into the Wayback Machine lets me bring up many of them with no warning.

Over the weekend I was approached with another way of accessing Mike's stuff using that resource.

"Yesterday marked 2 years since Mike Vanderboegh passed," correspondent Ken Bliss told me. "I decided to dig into the Wayback archives and bring back to life his online works, as much as I could find, and properly archive them. They can be found at:


Two years.  Dang. I guess it's been that long.

"I added everything I could dig up so it doesn’t disappear from history.  Its quite a bit and I’m still looking for more," Bliss explained. "I knew Mike for decades (helped him catch John Doe 2, aka Brescia) and missed some of this writing somehow.

"I'm sure I missed stuff some others might have from the early year," he added. I would volunteer to add anything else anyone has that I didn't include."

What a good effort, one deserving of the gratitude of all who got (or will get) value from Mike's work.

To some, this could be an introduction to the man. To others, it could be like getting a new lease on Sispey Street for those who miss regularly going down it.

No comments: