Wednesday, March 11, 2020

No Free Passes

Imagine if gun rights groups demanded that gun shops did not have to meet state safety regulations because the Second Amendment guarantees a right to bear arms and that fundamental constitutional right requires a similar right to be able to access firearms. [More]
In a perfect world, and this is following many years where among my other duties I prepared state and federal regulatory compliance policies for all kinds of corporate operational disciplines, including health and safety,  I'd opt for superior proprietary incentives to minimize hazards. But yeah, I get the point.

[Via Michael G]

3 comments:

Pat H. said...

Way back when I was age 10-12 one of our neighbors owned a hardware store that had quite a bit of hunting equipment and lots of firearms oriented in that direction. This was in the late 1950s, in Wilmington, North Carolina. They had two sons, both older than me, that were the envy of all boys in the neighborhood because they had unlimited access to rifles and shotguns. I think Winchester 1894a sold for about $60.00, plus or minus a few bucks.

If you were 18 you could on your own buy a rifle or shotgun, or with a parent with you, you could buy one at any age, no questions asked.

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to propose “ a ban on all state gun laws”

Henry said...

From some of the other language in this article, I suspect that the author is actually unaware that a federal court did, in fact, outlaw a Chicago ban on gun shops within the city in January of 2014.