Friday, June 05, 2020

'You Can Stop the Signal?' Redux


[More]
I replied:
The latest crawl I could retrieve was May 26: https://web.archive.org/web/20200527153847/https://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/   In re "Absolved," I thought the final version had been lost, but in any case, I hope I can talk them out of reposting it unless giving due financial consideration to Mike's widow, who morally and legally owns the copyright to the work.  She, more than anyone, steadfastly supported him and made his work possible, and when he died he didn't exactly leave her rolling in the dough.
Facebook immediately reined me in:


They're going after Wayback Machine now, I see.  Erasing the past is the "progressive" thing to do

I guess, to paraphrase Slick Willie, it depends upon what the meaning of the word "community" is.


It's so tough to know what's acceptable anymore:

[More]
Let's ask The Keeper for guidance:


How does this publicly-traded corporate keeper of alien standards qualify for special exemptions again...?

UPDATE: I just received the following message about my link to this post on Facebook:


I guess I'll need to see if this was an individual bug or a system-wide feature.  So far my post has not been removed but that could change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This caught my eye:

'In re "Absolved," I thought the final version had been lost,'

and raised a couple of questions on which I hope you can provide additional info.

1. By "final version" do you mean the incomplete version that you and Mike had posted links to or has someone in fact ghostwritten Mike's work into a more complete state?

2. In either case, how can one purchase a copy in such a way that Mike's widow, Rosie, gets some financial benefit from the sale?

David Codrea said...

As I understand it, the final version was stored by Mike on a thumb drive that could not be found after he died. As far as I know, it has not been recovered, so a complete work for purchase does not exist. In re the chapters that had been posted online that some -- but not all -- subsequently took down, I actually had to help her appeal to Amazon's copyright lawyers @ 2 years ago to remove an unauthorized compilation from Kindle that someone with no connection to the family had put up.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, marvelous things those thumb drives. You can store data in quantities that would boggle the mind of folks who backed up stuff on floppies. And lose it all in a heartbeat if it slides unobserved, out of a pocket and in between the couch cushions, down the toilet, into a storm drain, or takes a lap through the laundry machinery. They're at one and the same time very high density storage media, and also too small to put much of a legible label on them. So its all too easy to mistake the one with the wedding photos for a scratch drive.

Bottom line for all of those reading this. Anything important MUST be saved in a minimum of three independent places:

1. On the machine's hard drive.
2. On some form of backup media of a size that reflects the amount of data you're trying to back up. Don't try to back up a 3TB HDD or SSD on a boxcar load of floppies. It ain't gonna work, and if it did you wouldn't do it often enough.
3. A previous set of whatever you did in step 2 that you rotate into "offsite storage." Offsite could be your gun safe in the basement, the glove box in your vehicle, in a storage unit if you have one, a bank safety deposit box, or something along those lines. Just get it far enough away from the current copy that it would be a freak calamity to lose both the current and previous copies at the same time.