Wednesday, December 02, 2020

All in the Algorithm

Up until two days ago, if you'd clicked on the "In the News" widget in this blog's left sidebar, which links to a Google news feed search for my name, the initial results would have gone to my AmmoLand articles, with the most recent on or near the top. This has been that way for years and has been a way to route readers to my articles.

It's been changed, so instead, it gives preference to articles that mention my name, or in one case, someone with the same name in a two-year-old article from a local news channel (and I feel sorry for that guy and hope my work hasn't caused him any grief). Bottom line, you have to get a couple pages in to start seeing my stuff appear with any regularity and the effect of this is that already limited-readership articles are now even harder to find.

Forgive me for considering past disconnects and wondering if there is intent in that, not specifically toward me, but toward all who advance alternatives to the approved narrative.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ammoland is limiting your reads too. The article at the top (as I write this) blocked for not allowing 3rd party cookies. When did this start? Guessing it may be Ad-Blocker, but not sure. As much as I value your articles I wont turn of the ABP.

David Codrea said...

Not just my stuff, the whole site --they got some weird new pop up that blocks off the article and you have to click outside it to make it go away-- not sure what the answer is because they rely on ad revenue to survive but I expect if readership drops and enough people give them feedback they'll be motivated to figure out a better way.