Monday, May 10, 2021

Whither Thou Goest

Google has decided it will no longer support Feedburner, so I've removed that gadget from the sidebar over there on the left.  I already have a "Follow by Email" gadget where readers can sign up for updates to this blog, and just under it I am trying out Follow.it.

I'm told they will not spam you and share email addresses.

Having all the modern technical skills of someone still stuck on "C://" prompts who once used engineering drawings and parts lists to manually fill out 80-column forms and send them to a department called "Keypunch" to produce cards that were run through a tape drive mainframe to generate huge tractor-fed dot matrix-printed indentured product structure/bills of material reports, I'm afraid I'm a bit stuck finding the right place in the template to insert activating new-fangled, consarned kid-designed HTML code.

I either did it right and everything will work fine or I screwed everything up and saved Google the trouble of deciding too many "woke" sensibilities have been triggered here and I deserve to be canceled.

4 comments:

Mack said...

Is this helpful, David?

https://www.feedburner-alternatives.com/

Steve said...

Blogger templates should include a link to the Atom feed in the footer, though not on individual post pages. It's there on the main page.

You also need to go into the settings and disable the Feedburner redirect, as it's still active. Anyone subscribed to your Atom feed won't see any problems, but if they're subscribed to the Feedburner feed, then they won't see anything after it goes away. I'm going to check mine.

I used Feedburner before the Google bought them. It hasn't been touched in forever. It was nice since you could see subscriber counts and other stats.

If you need Caveman Technical Support, you can shoot me an email.

Steve said...

What did you see about Feedburner? They only thing I can find is that they're moving to new infrastructure, and getting rid of non-core functionality, which includes email subscriptions. Given that, my last comment isn't really relevant.

David Codrea said...

https://support.google.com/feedburner/answer/10483501
"Starting in July, we are transitioning FeedBurner onto a more stable, modern infrastructure. This will keep the product up and running for all users, but it also means that we will be turning down most non-core feed management features, including email subscriptions, at that time."