Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum

A man carrying a semiautomatic handgun approached a group of San Francisco police officers Saturday afternoon and, with a smile, handed over the pistol in exchange for $150 in gift cards.

"I used to fire it at bottles or do some plinking in the woods," said the gun's owner, 48-year-old Bruce Bourne. "But I have a 6-year-old daughter now and my wife was uncomfortable with it being in the house."

So your wife is going to protect the family Bruce? Evidently, because this guy didn't have a gun, and look what happened. Ditto this guy. And you've just announced to the world that:

A. You're defenseless; and

B. You're so henpecked you can't even make a case for home defense with your own wife. How much stronger of a case do you think you'd be able to make with these guys? Or with these?

But you'd just give them what they want, right, Bruce, and hope you could reason with them, or convince them not to hurt you? What if what they want involves doing terrible things to you and to the people you profess to love?

If I were you, I'd strap 'em on and tell my wife--not "ask"--that I was going to acquire the means and the knowledge to safely keep a gun in the home to defend my family with. If she's "uncomfortable" with that, I'd want to find out if she'd really rather have a $150 gift certificate than a man.

[Via SameNoKami]

2 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

Then his anti-gun wifey-poo calls the cops and claims he threatened her, so he gets arrested and barred from ever owning guns again. It happens.

Sean said...

My wife originally was anti-gun. Took her out to the range, let her shoot anything she wanted, as much as she wanted. She had been robbed at gunpoint twice before she met me. Turned out to be a natural born shooter, often outshoots me. I just laugh it off and try harder. I didn't marry her for her looks, money, position, or power and she knows it. I married her because of her integrity, matched with her intelligence. THAT'S how to pick a wife. Oh, we also humble ourselves before G*d. The frame of reference.