Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Liberal Case for Gun Ownership

What were our Founding Fathers thinking when they wrote the Second Amendment?

Well, they were not engaged in narrow partisan politics. They were not posturing for Fox News or trying to “make nice to soccer moms.”

These were serious men who came fresh from the white-hot forge of revolution. A war had just been fought to overthrow the yoke of an oppressive and unresponsive Government that invaded homes without warrant and which exposed the populace to "dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within."

This is as fine and concise a read as I have ever come across. While I don't quite get how someone who would give a constructionist interpretation to the Second Amendment could embrace (non-Jeffersonian) "liberal" ideology when it comes to other things we expect, demand or allow government to do to us, I think you'll enjoy it from a pure 2A perspective. If you do, share it with your friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, we need all the friends we can get. It has always amazed me how many minorities in this society don't get the second amendment.

Sean said...

We need all the friends we can get. Check. When are people extremely opposed to my personal beliefs my friends? A little leaven leavens the whole lump. They may be your friends but they are not mine. You may experience a reality check when they begin demanding your children be indoctrinated in school for the "gay lifestyle". I'm live and let live, but they don't want to leave us alone. They want us to embrace their lifestyle, willing or not. I thought that's what gun rights were about, being able to keep the undersirable at a distance. Gays with guns? I don't care. But they ain't my friends. Minorities do get the 2A. They been protected by someone else for so long, they figure it'll always be that way. Besides, why bother? Someone else is paying for it too.