Sunday, February 17, 2008

It is Not Clear When, or If...

But after Thursday's shootings left six dead and another 16 injured at Northern Illinois, Koehler contacted County Administrator Peter Austin and had the item taken off the agenda...

"Both of my sons were teaching assistants in the same lecture hall where the tragedy took place, so it hit me pretty hard," Koehler said.

It is not clear when, or if, the anti-gun control resolution will come before the full board.

Yeah, like his sons'll be safer by ignoring the Second Amendment.

We've talked about the McHenry County 2A Resolution, and that it was pulled. This Ken Koelhler character is why.

This is the problem when we rely on elected "leaders" to do things, because most will angle for political advantage or damage control, as opposed to those who truly lead on principle. You get nincompoops who allow their emotions to rule, or at least use that as a calculated excuse for why they betrayed the group they're supposed to be leading. This guy just doesn't want any fallout and heat, and he's masking it with "Look how empathetic I am."

Here's contact info for him, for those of you who care. While you're at it, you may as well contact everyone who went along with it without a word of public protest. My guess is the people behind the resolution want us to be polite, so I won't come in at the 11th hour and pollute their pool. And it's not like the resolution itself is anything more than symbolic, albeit powerful symbolism, so its passage isn't urgent. But if I was a local gun activist there, I'd sure make it known I expected it to be resurrected within a timely period, and I'd do it during public comment (agenda item 11) at the meeting they pulled it from.

45superman has lots more.

No comments: