Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Olofson Convicted, Sentenced

Kevin Baker reports that according to the thread at arfcom, Olofson was sentenced to 30 Months incarceration, 2 Years probation.

I have not confirmed this, but Kevin is a reliable man. I have a call in to Len Savage. He and I were discussing this by phone this morning, and this is not the indication he had of how things would turn out.

Right now, prayers for Mr. Olofson and his family are in order.

Prayers for the rest of us should probably follow.

More as it develops.

UPDATE-8:53 PM: The original comment was entered by "FMD" who may be a friend of Olofson. Right now principles/lawyers in the case aren't answering their cell phones.

UPDATE-9:12 PM: The conviction and sentence are confirmed. Per Len, the reason no one was answering their cell phones is because the judge had them confiscated until afterward. His position was the statute makes no distinction or exemption for a malfunction. He denied a motion to suspend sentence pending appeal and is considering extending bond. I have been told Mr. Olofson is going home tonight. The courtroom was packed. Estimates are most of those in attendance were ATF personnel. Bill Tucker from CNN was in attendance, so this will be followed on Lou Dobbs.

NOTE-9:20 PM: I just want to caution everyone that by going live like this, I do not have the luxury of confirming information from multiple sources--so take everything you see here as raw information only. It's either this or I keep quiet until everything can be pegged down.

10 comments:

West, By God said...

Dang. I hope Lou Dobbs doesn't drop this matter.

Anonymous said...

Damn, damn, double damn. I get tired of being right in situations like this. But, as I said Clevert telegraphed his intentions early on.

Stephen said...

That is a shame... I am so disgusted.

Anonymous said...

It does tend to make an innocent man wonder why he would submit to trial, doesn't it?

Stephen said...

I will gladly give any kind of pro-bono support I can.

Anonymous said...

How many times can a republic die?

God watch over Mr. Olofson. I hope he comes to no harm in prison.

Anonymous said...

I think this was a hail Mary by the BATFE from the first. One of those "we know we can't possibly win, but hey wouldn't it be cool if we did" things they can do because they have deep government pockets. No jury in the world should have done this to Olofson for a simple malfunction, but now that they have BATFE will be drooling to use it as precidence for any malf anywhere being an open invitation to "think forfeiture".

Stephen said...

I hope this isn't an omen of things to come in the Red's case....

Anonymous said...

Congress isn't hearing us. I have a letter from Rep. Eric Cantor, Republican Whip, thanking me for my support of the BATFE Reform and Modernization Act (H.R. 4900), which would "establish operational guidelines for BATFE when investigating firearms violations."

No, what I BEGGED for was defunding, abolishment, prosecution.
Guidelines.
Oh, well.

Murphy's Law said...

As a long-time gun owner, I've never bought the claims that the rifle just "malfunctioned" and that Olofson was charged and convicted for no real reason.

Well there's a lot more info available now that the court case affidavits have been released. Olofson's not looking so squeaky clean now.

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2008/07/david-olofsons-off-to-jail-and-suns.html

So much for GOA's lies and Olofson's FAKE claim that the gun just "malfunctioned". I hate to see people go to prison, but Olofson put himself there.