Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Return of Emma Gee

I know I said I was done blogging for today, but this is important to me, to disassociate myself from a threatening email to a politician I was just copied on. If you're not familiar with Emma Gee, take a moment and read this.

Since this post, I've figured out who he is--this is a person who initiated correspondence with me some months back. It was pretty innocuous stuff, nothing to lead me to believe I was dealing with someone dangerous--either due to their own emotional issues or because they might be trying to entrap me into saying something stupid and criminal.

WoG regulars will also know that Toronto Mayor David Miller has been an occasional subject of interest.

Anyway, I just opened this email a short while ago, and it concerned me enough to make this post:



Note that in a prior email on April 2, he'd identified himself as "Marcus James." Here is my reply to the above:



This is international, which means it has surely attracted high law enforcement scrutiny--assuming he even sent it to his intended target, as opposed to just doctored something to send to me. I'll not be set up by either a crazy person or an operative. In accordance with my established "bang pots and pans and shine the light" policy, I'm posting this to keep that from happening.

For the record: My position on such matters has been clear for a long time. If anyone contacts me suggesting violent criminal activity, I will take all measures to protect my name and my freedom.

The more I think about Emma Gee, the more surprised I am that he hasn't been approached by the feds already. If he's still around acting like nothing happened after this post, I don't think the assumption that they are allowing (directing?) him to continue--would be completely off base.

If I were paranoid--and correspondence like this is certainly enough to set me off in that direction--I might wonder if this can be used as an excuse to seize my computer in a fishing expedition.

5 comments:

chris horton said...

Because we ARE peaceful and law abiding, it MAKES US the targets.

It's the Antis and trolls like that WE need to be protected from!

Thanks for all you do David. Way to cover your(and our)behinds!

Anonymous said...

I would not over-analyze it. That said, here is my over-analysis. :-)

It could be used as an opportunity for special agents to pay you a visit and have a chat with you about Emma Gee and WoG. If that were to happen, it could just be standard operating procedure for them to talk to everyone who received a threatening communication directed at a politician. On the other hand, if Emma Gee is really an agent provocateur, it might be that the visit by special agents to talk to you is really a ruse to let you know that they are "around" (i.e.; keeping an eye on you).

If they really want to make an impact on you or to elicit as much information from you as possible, they will approach you suddenly when you are off guard and outside of your house (e.g.; walking the dog, going for a bicycle ride, etc.). If that happens, you might want to politely but firmly let them know that they can reach you through your attorney. If they ask for the name of your attorney, do not give it to them, and let them know that you can have your attorney contact them. Likewise, if you should ever be visited at your house, I would not recommend letting them inside. I would tell them the same thing as before, "I'm sorry, but you will need to contact me through my attorney. Have a nice day."

Oh, one more thing. When you mention your attorney to them, they may try and make you feel culpable by saying something like, "Oh, do you have something to hide?" It's a trick to put you on the defensive and make you talk - don't fall for it. Just repeat what you said previously, "I'm sorry, but you will need to contact me through my attorney. Have a nice day." Don't be fooled by their psychological tricks into voluntarily talking.

In any case, be sure to get their business cards. If they do not have business cards, get their names and badge numbers. Also, ask for the name of their SAC (Special Agent in Charge) (pronounced like "sack").

It's nothing against special agents, but if they do pay you a visit, I would not assume that they are there for your best interest (even though they might really be there for your best interest). They're not babies - they can handle rejection.

Anonymous said...

If your data is distributed and you run your computer off a bootable Knoppix disk, they wouldn't get much of anything even if they seized your computer.

You do have backups, don't you? Keeping working documents containing logins and passwords on an encrypted partition is also very smart. The data cannot be manipulated without messing it up. If would be VERY difficult for them to plant something on your machine (if they were so inclined to try).

The cops see whackos and nuts all the time. Whether or not they do anything about them is determined by how dangerous they are perceived and how much the victim pushes them to do something (and of course how much liability they might be in if they do nothing).

Hopefully, this is ended and there is no more contact from this nut.

Anonymous said...

David, contact the mayor's office and let them know what you have received because you feel he needs to know about it for his security. Or have your lawyer do it. See if the mayor is receiving this and what they are doing about it.

Anonymous said...

emma gee gets a government paycheck. count on it.