Tuesday, May 13, 2008

We're the Only Ones Recording Enough

In a flash, a police officer draws a handgun from its holster. Less than two seconds later, a red laser and bright light shine at whatever is in the gun barrel's path while a mini-camera records it all.
Two seconds?

Sorry--I'm all for holding "Only Ones" accountable, but this is just foolish, and at $700 per unit, forgive me if I wonder just who the supplier knows. It's also not lost on me that "smart guns" were initially developed as a "solution" to police takeaway incidents, and now all proposals to mandate their use exempt them and impose on us.

Add to this a seeming preponderance of guns "going off" (although if the camera activates when removed from the holster, the next officer leaving their piece on a toilet ought to make for a "funniest video" moment), and I just don't see where making a system more complex and relying on technology--instead of focusing on improving the human operator--will create anything but unintended consequences.

[Via Dave Licht]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laser sights, like tracers, work both ways. A "bright light" will destroy the officer's night vision. Let them have their guncams.

Anonymous said...

Too many technological problems. This _might_ be a good idea _if_ the technology was truly up to the job.

Some problems:
1) It needs to be _completely_ transparent to the operator (the cop using the gun)
2) If needs an extremely long battery life (at least several hours)
3) There must be absolutely no inclination for an officer to use the gun camera "just to record an event". I.e., don't point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy.
4) Related to 3): _every_ time the camera is activated there should be a review and the video should be available to the public.
5) Failures of the camera would be a public relations nightmare -- even if there was nothing devious going on.

Overall, I say: bad idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly NO fan over-complicating a mechanical device such as a firearm. Such objects should be simplistic as possible, reliable, and easy to use. Don't mess with them.

As far as cameras and police go, I am a big supporter of outfitting them with such things as shouldcams(w/audio).


C.H.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of encouraging all citizens to videotape every police action they witness. I am a big fan of making such immune from prosecution and harrassment. I am a big fan of jailing any cop who objects either tacitly or strenuously. PERIOD!

Laughingdog said...

If use of this doesn't complicate drawing and using a firearm, I like the heck out of it. I love the concept of increased documentation of police activity. Unfortunately, they seem to have problems with losing video that is incriminating for them, which defeats the whole purpose.

Laughingdog said...

After looking at the article one more time, I do have to say that I can't see any way that a monstrousity like that hanging off the front of a gun could do anything other than complicate drawing and using it.