Thursday, June 12, 2008

Servant Gets Written Warning

GCO has written the chief of the Glynn County Police Department, asking for this department to cease detaining people solely for open carrying. The letter was prompted by a GCO member being twice detained by GCPD for no reason other than the members’ open carrying.

My favorite line from the letter:
Officer Varnadoe volunteered his opinion that Mr. Belt did not "need" a gun, "because that is what you pay the police for."
Yo, Varnadoe: I hear they have some openings in New London, and it sounds like you'd fit right in.

Let's hope if satisfaction is not immediately received, along with a sincere apology, that GOC puts the Dickson solution into operation.

[Via Jeffersonian]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am willing to accept that the presence of law enforcement does serve as somewhat of a deterrent to crime. That said, I would pose the question to the good officer, "and just how many crimes in your jurisdiction did you fail to prevent?" If the answer is any higher than none, then tell me again how I have no need for a gun.

David Codrea said...

The key word, Uncle Lar, is "presence." If they ain't present, then what?

And as we've seen here, that presence can also result in a crime...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, my response might have been, "I don't need to pay you to carry a gun because I carry a gun."

Kevin Wilmeth said...

Hey, Kaveman, you may be on to something there. Not only do you not need to pay him to carry the gun, but his carrying the gun, openly, in full view, may make you nervous, like maybe that he'll do something stupid with it. You don't suppose we could just tell 'em it's not necessary, thanks for asking, and tell 'em to cut it out, do you? :-)