Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Walk in the Park

Residents will soon be sipping beer during events and carrying concealed weapons in Hillsborough County parks. [More]
At the same time?

Not that I necessarily see that as a problem--I have guns and alcohol accessible at home and it's never been a problem for me or for anyone around me--so I don't know why changing the setting I'm in should matter, or induce me to abandon self control, or become irresponsible or violent....

Hell, I could have a couple stiff drinks right now, and then a couple more, and access my choice of potentially lethal objects--if I wanted to.

What's to stop me, except myself?

Hell of a thing, freedom. It's not perfect. Its benefits come with costs. Without responsibility, problems can arise.

It sure beats the hell out of the alternative though, doesn't it?

[Via Ed M]

3 comments:

Pickdog said...

sure does!

Sean said...

Having nearly been shot by drunk hunters in California and Missouri, I can say I'm agin it fer shore. But leave it to the fourth estate to conjure up images of yahoos drinking and rolling around parks looking for someone to shoot for fun. Probably that projection thing.

Ed said...

Alcohol is still prohibited in Hillsborough County Parks, except for permitted events, which typically will have a detail deputy as a condition of the permit.

Florida law allows you to have a weapon in your vehicle without a carry license. Open carry is prohibited except for law enforcement officers. Concealed carry is by license that the Florida Department of Agriculture "shall issue". The previous county law on the carrying of weapons in parks was unenforceable but still rendered you subject to arrest with the case thrown out at first court appearance. A commenter to the Tampa Tribune provides Florida Law on preemption:
"Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or regulations relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances are hereby declared null and void...local governments have no authority to regulate firearms in any manner."