Saturday, April 01, 2006

Phone Call From the NRA

Dear MSSA Friends,

I just answered an incoming phone with no caller ID. I answered, as I usually do, "Gary Marbut." There was a click and then a female voice said, "Could I speak with Mr. Gary Marbut please." My response, "If you are paying attention now, I'll answer the phone again - Gary Marbut."

The lady said, "I'm very sorry, I didn't hear you the first time. Could I take just a minute of your time to play you a message from Wayne LaPierre about how important it is to get a bill passed in your state to allow Montana people to protect their families?"

My response, "Absolutely not! I am the president of the Montana Shooting Sports Association, the primary political action organization for gun owners in Montana. We had such a bill before the 2005 session of the Montana Legislature. We asked the NRA to support our bill and the NRA refused. I will certainly not listen to Wayne, followed by a pitch for a donation to the NRA to support enactment a bill we tried to enact but the NRA refused to support!"

The lady on the phone was shocked. I explained the details to her,including Randy Kozuch's role in the Montana fiasco. The lady apologized again.

That ended the call.

If you have any questions, see: http://www.mtssa.org/nrasnafu.phtml

Gary Marbut, president
Montana Shooting Sports Association
http://www.mtssa.org
author, Gun Laws of Montana
http://www.mtpublish.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NRA called me,AGAIN, dunning me for money, coupla years ago. Sweet young thing asked me if I would stand by the well-fed-ass LaPierre and make a donation for not-known-yet-to-be-traitor Bush and the NRA.And I asked SYT why should I,when asswipe said he would sign an AWB renewal/permanent bill if it was brought to his desk. Silence. Taking advantage of said silence,I hung up. The NRA is so busy fighting for the scraps that fall from Washington's table that they cannot ever see their G*d given gifts of freedom and liberty. Oh, there's a difference between us, allright. They think their position exists to provide themselves with power. I think their position exists to provide the people who pay the freight and do the bleeding and working with freedom.

E. David Quammen said...

They don't call me anymore. Not after I went into a half-hour lecture explaining just how wrong they really were. The poor ol' gal that had called said "I had no idea!"
She does now.