Sunday, June 18, 2006

THAT'LL Teach Him...

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca has revoked the concealed weapons license of a retired sheriff's captain who waged a fiery but unsuccessful campaign to unseat him in last week's election, a move the candidate's lawyer called "blatant retaliation"...

"This has nothing to do with retaliation or curbing one's democratic right to freedom of speech. This has to do with misusing department data and mechanisms"...
Ordinarily, I'd make some comment about permitting rights and abuse of power, but Larry Waldie has proven to be an unapologetic police statist, so I can't really get too worked up over what he perceives as an injustice done to him.

UPDATE: I made a big goof in this post. See comments for details.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,
I believe you misconstrued the article. You said:

"Ordinarily, I'd make some comment about permitting rights and abuse of power, but Larry Waldie has proven to be an unapologetic police statist, so I can't really get too worked up over what he perceives as an injustice done to him."

But if you read it carefully you will see that Larry Waldie notified retired Capt. Ken Masse that his (Masse's) permit was being revoked, not Waldie's no injustice is being done to Waldie.

Waldie is an agent of Baca's, his flunky if you will. In both articles you reference he is acting as an intermediary to insulate Baca.

These are "The Only Ones..." after all.

David Codrea said...

1894C--you are right and I apologize for the error--trying to do too much at one time, I suppose.

Here is Masse's position on you and me exercising a right that he is so incensed over when it is denied to him:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32688

"At this time, my position on CCW's is that they will be issued upon demonstrated and articulated need."

So the hell with him, too.

Anonymous said...

Exactly so.

I wasn't picking nits, I just didn't want Waldie to be portrayed in a false positive light. He doesn't deserve it.

Masse is just pissed because he will be demoted to serf.

Let enough of "The Only Ones" drink from the permit and license trough with the rest of us and MAYBE thing s will start to change.

I agree that you would have to look hard to find a decent guy in the bunch, LA county Sherrifs is crooked as a dog's hind leg.

Please keep up the good work.

Thanks.