Monday, July 24, 2006

It's In the Cards

The boycott card idea for anti-gun businesses has generated a lot more interest and support than I expected. Here are the places now hosting the Word file:

I originally posted it on Rapid Share, as described here.

Commentator Gattsuru posted it here.

Void Where Prohibited posted it here.

Jay.Mac posted it here, and also gave it a nice write-up.

Ditto for Jed, who posted it and added his own observations.

As I said from the start, this concept is not mine--I merely modified an idea being promoted for some time by groups like Ohioans for Concealed Carry. But it's a good idea, and ought to be used, so feel free to modify the cards and make them appropriate for your area (for instance, I can see a real use for one warning gun owners that "Only Schmucks Shop at Schnucks," etc.

If I left anyone out, drop me a note--and if you create your own version of the card, let me know that as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I carry some of these cards in my wallet. So far have only given 2 out in the last year or so.

http://www.nealknox.com/special/CCWCard/


Bounty Hunter

Anonymous said...

I have in the past contacted businesses that proscribed the carrying of guns - either concealed or not - with a message similar to this:

Dear Sirs/Mesdames,

I noticed that you have posted your business with a sign that proscribes carrying guns - either concealed or openly carried.

Since I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon in this state, I typically carry a gun and rely upon myself for self - defense.

I am glad that you have assumed the responsibility for my, and everyone else's, safety.

Due to your posting, I will, for the most part, choose to spend my money at your competitor's place of business. However, in the event that I cannot find specific merchandise unless I shop at your place of business, this letter is to notify you that I expect to be protected from any and all harm that might befall me while on your premises as a result of being disarmed.

If some type of harm befall me, If I survive, I will take any and all legal action against you for failing in your assumed duty to protect me as a result of your disarmament policy. In the event that I am killed, or injured to the point that I cannot speak for myself, my surviving spouse or family will take legal action against you for the breach of your fiduciary duty to protect me.

If your policy includes assuming responsibility for my, and your other customers, protection, I will continue to support your business. However, if your policy is in place simply to turn your customers into helpless victims, with no potential for self-defense, and you assume no responsibility for my, and their, protection, please contact me at once stating such, and I will, under no circumstance, ever enter your premises again for any purpose.

Please not, failure to respond is deemed to permit. If you do not, as soon as possible, send me a letter indicating that you have no intention of assuming any and all liability for my protection from harm due to my being disarmed while at your business, you have assumed all responsibility for my protection while on your premises.

Respectfully,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


While this message likely has no legal effect, I have sent it to several businesses in the past. All of these particular businesses soon removed their victim disarmament signs.