Thursday, November 02, 2006

GUNS Magazine, November 1956


  • How could you not want to read about "Hunting Elephants With a Deer Rifle"?
  • 50 years ago, there was the speculation "Is the Bolt Action Obsolete?"
  • And my favorite article in this issue is by the legendary Elmer Keith, who shows it was once possible to have fun with a .50 caliber rifle in California in "Biggest Hunting Rifle Ever Made." They didn't even shoot down any airliners.
  • Plus, as always, enjoy the classic ads (and classic prices) of the period.
The November 1956 issue of GUNS Magazine is now online.

3 comments:

E. David Quammen said...

Yeah, those "classic prices" are what caught my attention! Now, if I only had a 'time-machine', I'd be rich!

p.s. - Thanks again for posting the link to the download! Have all the issues posted so far. Do you think they'll continue with 1957's issues?

David Codrea said...

Yes, all issues have been posted so far, from the premiere issue in Jan. 1955. I don't know if they will keep going though years after this one or not--why not contact them, let them know you appreciate the feature, and see what they say?

I'm sure if they have them and know there is interest, they'll want to keep attracting people to their site.

Of course, it also wouldn't hurt if folks kept them going by buying or subscribing to current issues, and I wouldn't mind one bit if you helped me feed feral sons Uday and Qusay by mentioning you read and tolerate or hate my column.

BobG said...

Damn! I remember that issue; my dad had it when I was a kid. The cover stood out in my memory.