Friday, November 10, 2006

This Day in History: November 10

During the American Revolution, the Continental Congress passes a resolution stating that "two Battalions of Marines be raised" for service as landing forces for the recently formed Continental Navy. The resolution, drafted by future U.S. president John Adams and adopted in Philadelphia, created the Continental Marines and is now observed as the birth date of the United States Marine Corps.
The photo is from my uncle's graveside services earlier this year at Arlington. My older brother is second from the right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For my brothers and sisters (past present) in the U.S. Marine Corps ... Happy Birthday and Semper Fi.

Anonymous said...

David,

I read about your uncle's contributions to freedom. I hope we don't let your uncle down. God bless him.