Thursday, November 09, 2006

Impact of Election on Second Amendment

[N]otwithstanding widespread calls for moderation within their ranks, the Democrat leadership in the House and Senate will unquestionably put gun owners on the defensive by seeking to renew the so-called assault weapons ban, close down gun shows, and drastically expand the Brady gun control law.

So the NRA strategy of backing a critical mass of Democrats,which helped give them control of both houses of Congress, was a smart political move:

A. Because the "Blue Dogs" will resist the the promised rewards and/or threats of retribution from their party leadership and help lead the fight to kill this legislation, or

B. Because fundraising and membership drives always work best in a climate of imminent threats?

Just asking...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, via Michelle Malkin, Rangel is already talking about more gun control. I'm sure that will help NRA recruit and raise funds. They won't get a Continental from me--I'll join GOA or JPFO (or both) instead, but I'm sure it will help.

Anonymous said...

Re: Oldsmoblogger’s comment:

OK– So NOW you’re willing to “join JPFO or GOA” – that’s great.

It’s too bad that it takes a loss by the Republicrats to encourage gun owning folks to finally step up to the plate and actually fund an organization that defends gun rights.

There are millions of gun owners with similar "intentions."

Your comment brings to mind a conversation that I had about 20 or so years ago (I had unfortunately already spent good money at that time to become a Life Member of the NRA) with another gun owner – who happens to own a plethora of “un- politically correct” guns.

I can’t remember the specifics, but he said: “Look’s like the NRA lost another one” regarding the loss of the Second Amendment battle du jour.

That comment really pissed me off. He knew that I belonged and donated to several gun rights organizations. (And one alleged gun rights organization)

It’s possible that I could have purchased the same guns that he owned had I spent the money on guns, instead of spending it to try to preserve HIS gun rights.

He spent his money on guns, while I, and other like me, spent money to take the fight to the enemy.

Your comment has had a similar effect on me. NOW that the Demopublicans are in power, you are going to join a pro- rights organization.

Where were you before? It’s a well known fact that only a small fraction of gun owners actually spend “a Continental” to try to preserve gun rights.

At any rate - welcome to the party. I’m glad you’re here.

Too bad you didn’t “join JPFO or GOA” ( How about both?) until now.

Reminds me of the guy who went shopping for a fire extinguisher AFTER his pants were on fire…