Saturday, April 28, 2007

New Rules

Dave Licht sent me an email and agreed I could share it.

Hi David -

I hope you are well.

Are you aware of a new rule that requires ALL guns being shipped into california to be individually pre authorized by the state? Apparently dealers (starting May?) have to call the doj and get a number before each gun is shipped into the state.

Can you say "no more gunbroker.com transactions in california"? Can you say "no more buying guns out of state and avoiding the california sales taxes"? Can you see the end of private transactions in california?

I just sold a pistol (via private party transfer) in kalifornia and dealing with the ffl / gun store was a complete insult. The dealer (that was required to officiate the sale) took an hour to complete the transaction (despite my arriving with the completed paperwork) and the idiot told me if I did not like it not to come back! (Buy my stuff but don't bother me to make just $25 doing your transaction)

When I go to gun stores I see mostly (seemingly unemployed) lookers taking up the counter space and bar stools for hours at a time and buying nothing. I find it hard to believe gun stores can afford to insult anybody let alone people that may buy something......anything.

This is the gun business in kalifornia - take it or leave it, pay more for it, grovel to do it and be thankful for getting it. The state may be F**K'D up and need changing but when the gun dealers become willing, obedient unapologetic stooges for the state they don't deserve the business. This state lap dog mentality may be acceptable to people who buy one gun every 5 years or so but not to people buying 6 a month. The gun business should leave california and private gun buyers and sellers should say enough is way to much and defy the laws en mass.

I am just ranting but a gun collector can not compete living in kalifornia with collectors living in other states and gun dealers are becoming unworthy of the business.

Thanks

Dave Licht

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David, here is a link to the DOJ notice given to us CA dealers regarding this law http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/infobuls/2007BF-01.pdf. The first time I was made aware of this law was in the DOJ letter sent to dealers. I do not remember seeing it mentioned at all on the Gun Owners of CA site http://www.gunownersca.com/, nor the CA NRA site http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml, both of which are great places to learn about new and pending legislation.

I have no idea how this will impact business, as I do not know any details yet. Perhaps this will make it too cumbersome for my customers to buy from the internet and have me do the transfer. This may help my business, as they will be forced to buy from me. We lose a fair number of sales because we cannot compete with the internet volume-dealers.

But, I am a gun owner first, and a gun dealer second. Thus I am irritated with yet another ridiculous law that infringes on our Second A. rights. More so for how it will affect gun rights here in Cali, rather than how it will affect my business.

Above all though, my business partner and I have very little sympathy anymore for gun owners here in Cali. I can tell you that on average there are over 1000 firearms transactions (DROS' processed) EVERYDAY here in CA (Except on Bill of Rights day - that was over 2000 ;-). That is roughly 365,000 firearms transactions each year.

So, let's do a little more math... how about if each of those 1000 per day made a phone call, wrote a letter, sent an e-mail, DID SOMETHING to let our state legislators know that we are fed up with the gun laws here in our state? 1000 calls per day would get us pretty much anything we wanted as far as legislation goes.

Thus, I am not too upset anymore when I see more draconian legislation coming our way. Maybe this is what we need to get enough gun owners affected enough to start making some phone calls.

A side note... I noticed the CA DOJ Firearms Division has a new logo. You can see it on their website in the top right corner. It is rather interesting in that it has an image of a firearm that we cannot even buy here in this state. Not sure what to make of this.