Saturday, May 19, 2007

We're the Only Ones Self-Protecting Enough

Waugh said courthouse patrons were lucky that day, and he can't believe that 20 years later, there's still no routine screening for weapons.

Some employees, including Assistant Pottawattamie County Attorney Jon Jacobmeier, have decided to provide their own protection.

"The way I see it, I got three young kids," Jacobmeier said. "If someone's going to try to make them fatherless and kill me, which I assume is going to happen one of these days, I'm going to be ready for him."

Jacobmeier said he carries a Glock semiautomatic handgun. His boss, County Attorney Matt Wilber, also packs a pistol.

Let me get this straight--you get to carry but you want me screened for weapons, simply because we have different jobs (mine not dependent on what government can extort from the productive sector by threat of force)?

Hey, I've got kids. How do you think I feel if someone tries to "make them fatherless" ? But then again, I forget my place. After all, I'm not an "Only One," am I?

[Via JOEMERCHANT24]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If somebody wants to kill a government attorney or judge or what have you, there's lots of places to find them besides work. Ask Fed Judge John H. Wood Jr. Oh, wait! You can't ask him because he was killed away from work...

Anonymous said...

Uhh, Jon? My 30.06 trumps your Glock!

Anonymous said...

Danker and the board of supervisors said they hope to adopt a plan later this year for the $50,000 equipment and salaries to staff a security entrance. Danker said that if it saves a life, it's worth it.

Ah, I haven't heard that one in a while.