Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Better Grasp

David Codrea, 'co-founder, GunTruths and Citizens of America' reads a story about Walthamstow and grasps very hard on the wrong end of the stick. Hope he grasps which end of a gun to use a bit better than he grasps British culture about guns.

Coincidentally, my editor just sent me a link to this story about the culture clash taking place in the UK, and the very real danger it poses.

In light of that, and the post he felt compelled to expound on, let me address Martin Belam's contentions, noting that by making a blanket assertion without presenting rational arguments, and by substituting snotty judgmentalism for wit, he's relieved me of any obligation for treating him gently.

First, off, mate, at least I have a gun to grasp. Unlike you and your countrymen in the UK (that I note you've left behind for Crete, which I guess makes you a Cret[i]n?), I haven't surrendered that choice to any masters.

As for British culture, I grasp a few things.

I grasp the "twisted outcome" of British gun laws.

I grasp that you lot make women apologize for defending themselves.

I grasp your government punishes you for doing so.

I grasp that same government is "not obliged" to protect your citizens, and not obliged to answer for that failure.

And noting your mercenary stint with the BBC, I grasp a vested interest on your part in preserving the facade that you've helped faciltiate journalism instead of propaganda.

I even grasp you, Martin, quite clearly.

So let me encourage you to grasp this. And somehow, I don't think you'll have any problem grasping "which end...to use. " Then just close your eyes and think of England.

And then grasp this, Martin, grasp what it meant to a better generation than yours, and grasp what it will probably never mean again with men like you representing the norm:

9 comments:

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

I feel left out--I wrote about the scourge of Walthamstow way back in 2006, but Mr. Belam seems to have ignored me.

Anonymous said...

David,

I was just getting ready to e-mail you a GIF I've had for a while of that same (send a gun) sign.

I'm so very glad you mentioned it.

I'm struck that many, perhaphs most, in the UK have no cultural memory (outside of the remaining living memory) of such things.

It was not so very long ago that their nation stood on the brink of invasion, defenseless! The country was left to resort to soliciting firearms from American citizens for their utter defense.

The fact that operation "sea lion" never took place was due to Hitler's ineptness and the UK's good luck more than anything else.

Now, in living memory of such dire need, Britons ridicule the "gun culture" of the United States.

Pray that when they once again cry out for "arms for the defense of their homes" someone on this side of the Atlantic is able an willing to help.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this guy has one of those nice little night stands at his bedside?

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm watching Cassius Clay take on Tiny Tim.

Anonymous said...

That poster asked to "gift" the British the guns. Another program _lent_ them guns. A goodly number of the _lent_ guns were dropped in the ocean after the war.

My grandmother was born and raised in England (granddad brought her back after WWI) but I cannot said as I would do much to defend such people today.

Anonymous said...

I was more aware of the programs to LEND them guns. Since they never returned the property then they can ask and beg all they want and it will go unanswered. After all, if your neighbor borrows your lawnmower and then tosses it into the lake are you going to loan him your new lawnmower next time his grass gets too high?

Anonymous said...

What next? The Archdhimmi of Canterbury?

Too bad he's so old now that he isn't likely to live to see how the Muslims will treat Anglicans after the Anglicans meekly hand over their country.

Base treachery in Perfidious Albion, as usual.

Anonymous said...

There's a reason God put those people on an island.

Too bad the few free thinkers there are usurped by phony "experts" like this one...

Ned

Anonymous said...

As for my part, they need not ask. They should save their breath for running, otherwise it will be wasted completely if want my help.

And this is from a man who believes Winston Churchill was the greatest man of the twentieth century.