Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Another Law Abiding Gun Owner Goes to Jail

Family Crest Catering, owned by David Crest of Hanover, Massachusetts had been robbed four times. Approximately $3,000 worth of goods and equipment had been stolen and an additional $4,000 had been embezzled.

After the fourth robbery, it became apparent to Mr. Crest that the police could not prevent future robberies and future robberies seemed imminent. Since Mr. Crest could not reasonably continue to support his family while being robbed all the time, he decided to guard his store with his Mossberg 500 shotgun by his side. Sure enough, the robber came back.
I confess I am new to this story and "know" nothing more about it than the link tells us, so I'm not going to second-guess this man's immediate actions.

I will say with the state of edict overflow we all live under, I prefer the term "peaceable" or some such over "law-abiding."

I'll also say that at this point, none of us should know that shots fired were intended as warnings. At most, I'd have said "I was in fear for my life. I want to talk to a lawyer."

Do not talk to the nice officer who only wants to find out what happened. He is not interested in clearing your good name. And while you're dragged through a system draining your life savings, and facing total ruin, the loss of your freedom, and everything your family will suffer, the only time you'll be on his mind is when he's preparing to testify and answering questions under oath. All the while waiting for the shift to end so he can go back to his home and his family and not give you and yours another thought...

3 comments:

Kent McManigal said...

I am not now, nor have I ever been "law abiding". I am, however, one of the most peaceable people you will ever meet.

Anonymous said...

I used to say I was "law abiding". That was before I learned a little about the "law". I learned that I have never been, and will never be, "law abiding". However, like Kent, I am a peaceable man.

Anonymous said...

Cops know who they can fuck with and who they can't. They can fuck with peaceable people, they avoid the other kind. At least until they have a pretty good chance that they outnumber the other kind badly enough that if there is resistance, the odds favor them not being hurt, but one of their "brothers in blue". Usually about 13 to 1 is enough to make them take the risk hoping it is their buddy that gets it, if shit go south.

Much easier to arrest the victim of the crime, and much quicker too. They want to go home at the end of the shift. So badly, that they will let crooks walk and arrest the peaceful people.

Pretty hard to miss a car with shot out tires and buckshot holes in the fenders, bet they do though. Boston is little, lots of people,but not much area to cover for people who know the city, especially with Motorola on your side.

But Hell, they have to do something, so arrest the guy protecting his property.

yeah, I know, he shouldn't have followed them outside and shot at them. Horseshit! Once the societal covenant was broken by them, nobody owed them a damn thing, not even a pretense that their lives had worth.

I may not have done it. But I would never fault a man who did. Of course, I'm not a paid coward, either.