Thursday, May 08, 2008

The Group W Bench

Mark Robinson was driving through downtown Melissa last week when he was pulled over for failing the use his turn signal.

But instead of getting a ticket, the officer took the 24-year-old to jail.

He was booked, strip searched, and sat for 3 hours with criminals. “People talking about using drugs and shooting heroine. They asked me what I was in there for and I said a turn signal violation,” said Robinson.
Mr. Guthrie, would you handle this one, please?
And the meanest, ugliest, nastiest one, the meanest father raper of them all, was coming over to me and he was mean 'n' ugly 'n' nasty 'n' horrible and all kind of things and he sat down next to me and said, "Kid, whad'ya get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage." He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?" And I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench there, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I said, "And creating a nuisance." And they all came back, shook my hand, and we had a great time on the bench, talkin about crime, mother stabbing, father raping, all kinds of groovy things that we was talking about on the bench.

The parallel is almost perfect.

These authoritarian excesses have the unintended consequences of working in favor of liberty as more citizens are caught up in the net, and as the ridiculously absurd demands for obedience and "respect" result in well-deserved ridicule and contempt instead.

[Via Zachary G]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I miss it, what is the officer's name?

Oh, nevermind.

And, why would you do this? The whole time that this young man is being booked, nobody questioned the stupidity of it?

What's that expression you like, David? Good Lord!

Anonymous said...

My state legislature discussed a bill to give law enforcement the discretion to arrest even for minor misdemeanors like turn-signals, which usually merit a VERBAL WARNING or a ticket only. It didn't pass THIS TIME, but the idea is popular.
See, then they get to photograph and fingerprint you, and in some places take a DNA sample, so if you ever do anything they don't like anywhere at any time in the future -- like be part of the Resistance -- they have you cold.
Look for the reason behind the reason.

Anonymous said...

"His father thinks the officer assumed he had drugs because of his age (24), which he didn't."
So he gets slammed in a cell with certified drug users and worse.
SOME people would come out of this experience determined to go ahead and be what they were accused of being.

So everyone 16 to say, 40, is a drug suspect? Or do most people 16 to 40 actually USE drugs but deny it, and the drug war is premised on an idea unpopular with all but an authoritarian 10% of citizens and 95% of government official?
In anonymous surveys, 50% of MIDDLE SCHOOL students have tried marijuana at least once. Yet life goes on. Pot makes one passive, which -- hey! the government wants. So by Prohibiting it, they encourage it. Forbidden fruit. Reverse psychology. Give the LEOs something to do.
I don't use, and I don't approve, but I don't presume to decide for others, as long as they don't drive under the influence. Do we own our own bodies? The government says no. Hold on to your health supplements.

Anonymous said...

Here is my email to Chief Smith of the Melissa PD:

[Chief Smith, I understand you are going to review departmental procedures in the aftermath of this stupidity and while I laud you for it, may I make a suggestion that might prove more effective in regaining respect for your department?

In addition to your review of departmental procedures, strip the officer, who did this idiotic thing, of his badge and weapon and duty belt for a month. Then watch his attitude toward the public when he doesn't have the false courage of his law enforcement accouterments. I think you will find this man is psychologically unfit to serve in any capacity where he can wield the power of government over others.

I truly believe you will find this officer a danger to your citizenry and a detriment to your department. It is my bet that he will eventually, if not already, cause unwarranted serious harm to an innocent, and possibly irreparable financial harm to your department and city.

I am old enough to remember when cops were considered our friends and part of the community. They are rapidly becoming equated with an occupying oppressive force. I do not believe in light of your forthrightness and subsequent pledge of review that this is the reputation you would desire for your force. Nor would it be beneficial to anyone for your force to acquire this reputation by the actions of one or two badge heavy bullies.

We expect a great deal of our law enforcement personnel, and sometimes it may seem a heavy load, but in light of the power residing in them, we should only tolerate those able to carry that load.and still comport themselves decently.

I thank you for reading this if you did. And if you wish to reply, feel free to do so.]

I signed witn my name and city.

Anonymous said...

An excellent letter, straightarrow. Excellent. I'll use it as a model for my own.
I'm always glad when these incidents come out on sites like this one, and when people like you write emails. The PDs realize... suddenly, they're world-famous. Some don't change -- NOPD, for one notorious example -- and they become famous for that, too.