Friday, November 21, 2008

This Day in History: November 21

I expect, during the confused usurpation of power, that an officer of the customs, if he only acts with spirit, or as his duty and oath binds him, that he will immediately fall under the lash of the damned Committees, &c., who, on such occasion, will show them as little mercy as they themselves may expect in the future world; and as I have on sundry occasions opposed their measures, and strove to convince the deluded people of their error, I have, by that means, rendered myself obnoxious to them, and no doubt if ever in their power, shall have their whole weight of vengeance laid on me. But while I am acting in favour of Government and my own steady principles, I make no doubt but I shall be able, with half their number, to meet them in the field; as I hold it to be an established point that those who fight, or take up arms against Government, are always in dread, and fight to great disadvantage, knowing that they are fighting against their sovereign, by whom alone they can hope for assistance against their real enemies, and who, out of his grace and favour, has offered them protection from all their foes, and who would be glad to see them return to their duty, and embrace the proffered grace.

No comments: