Monday, January 07, 2013

A Giant Gaping Hole

In the end, it may well turn out that knowing what kinds of guns he used isn’t nearly as important as what kind of drugs he used. [More]
True, but it would also be easy to ignore if these medicines do good for some and look at what the attributable violence percentages are before enacting anecdote-based "solutions."

This needs to be something that is rigorously studied, and that does not lend itself to a quick fix. But yes, by all means, give it scrutiny, just make sure it's scientific and not agenda-driven.

[Via Brian P]

2 comments:

Teke said...

David,

I am so grateful to hear that statement from someone else on our side. I keep hearing people spewing ban guns from those on psych drugs.
I have a daughter who has Aspergers. I am also a gun loving Texan. This is way of life that I am planning on passing on to my kids. I have started to teach them. I watch her growing up and I see a normal child who has difficulty socially. This does not make her violent or a threat to anyone. As a responsible parent if she were of that mental state I would do my best to discourage or if needed prevent her access as an adult. I hope that I never have to entertain that thought. But I would hate to see a blanket list of any kind for people who are under treatment. To me this would exacerbate the problem because those needing help would not seek it and go untreated. I would bet that we find out the majority of people who act out like this are off of their medication and have been for some time when an incident occurs.

I am not saying that the mental health system is broke. But of those under a doctors care for issues of the psychological nature the number who are a danger is still a minute percentage.

I am not saying we shouldn't look at the issue in depth but that is was is needed. A deep study into what medications were or were not being taken and if the medication was an influential factor.

Anonymous said...

Drugs, crazy, or evil - it doesn't matter.

The solution is to stop making it difficult for individuals to take responsibility for themselves.

Sure, study the drugs, hold pill-pushing company owners responsible as needed. Recognize that evil will exist regardless of the merit of problem pills.

-PG