Monday, May 20, 2013

Important Update to Perazzi Story

In all the years I've been writing, this has never happened to me before. I am starting to go from stunned to pissed.  I just posted this update to the Perazzi/Denver shotgun arrest story:



IMPORTANT UPDATE: Perazzi has released the following statement on its website, translated using Google Translate:
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE by Perazzi SPA
With regard to reports in the American press, in relation to an alleged arrest for "terrorism" by Daniele Perazzi (founder of Perazzi Armi SpA), we point out that the news is completely devoid of any foundation. Daniele Perazzi is however, unfortunately, failed to live for about a year. Even his son, Mauro, was last Saturday in the USA. As reported in the press is absolutely false. The company Perazzi, however, contrary to what is written, is familiar with the American legislation on weapons because of his extensive and well-known activities of marketing its products in the USA. Since it is difficult to think of simple error, it is believed that someone who has interests contrary to those of the Perazzi SpA, may have spread false and misleading information purposes only defamatory. The company has already instructed his lawyers to take the most appropriate actions, civil and criminal, in order to protect the brand represented and its activity, carried on the American market. Perazzi Armi SpA
PRESS RELEASE From Perazzi SpA With reference to press reports Concerning Daniele Perazzi's alleged unlawful arrest for terrorism last Saturday in Denver (Colorado), That we were the incident is devoid of any foundation and the news is completely fabricated. Daniele Perazzi (founder of Perazzi SpA) died last year, and his son Mauro was not in the United States last Saturday. The Perazzis are not involved in. any wrongdoing in any way, shape or form and, to our best knowledge, are not under investigation or scrutiny nor are targets of criminal proceedings. The Perazzi Company, contrarily to what Has Been Reported, is very familiar with the U.S. legislation on two weapons to its extensive presence in the American market. Perazzi is considering to take legal action to protect the brand and the Company's reputation in the USA. Perazzi SpA
Since this story has started to gain wider attention, my role in this, why I posted this and the standards I used before publishing merit scrutiny.
I was sent an email from a very well-known Second Amendment attorney titled "major urgent story." As I protect my sources, I will be immediately sending him an email asking if I may disclose his name.
He set down the story, essentially as presented in my Examiner column, and gave me as contacts NRA Director Schreiner and another attorney, one whose CV includes Oxford and Harvard--she requested I not use her name for attribution and I honored that for my story.
I called both and had extensive conversations that include contemporaneous notes of our conversations, and they both independently confirmed the contents of the email and each others' accounts.

To further source the story, I linked to a Fox News Channel 31 Denver report.

I also called the Adams County Sheriff's Office and left a voice mail with the Public Information Officer. As it was Sunday, no one answered and no call has been returned.

Before publishing the story, I sent it to the Colorado attorney who confirmed the story for an accuracy check, and she replied back that it was "well written" and "approved." She is also the one who told me that the Daniele Perazzi in the story was the grandson of the founder. I have the emails to document this.
After publishing, I sent the story link to Schreiner, to the attorney who tipped me to the story, and to the attorney who acted as a source.

This afternoon, a colleague sent me the link to the Perazzi press release. I immediately called Schreiner who maintains he was at the Collectors Show and has first-hand knowledge of some of the information stated as fact, and was directly told about the rest from show management. I also left a call for the source attorney and left a voice mail telling her of these developments and asking her to call me.

The bottom line is, I went through an extraordinary level of verification on this story before publishing it. 
If it turns out that it is, as the press release states, "completely devoid of any foundation," that means someone went to extraordinary lengths to create and perpetuate a hoax story, and to draw me and others into it, and to smooth entry by using credible people.

As something like this can destroy a reputation, I too, am absolutely invested in getting to the truth of this matter, horrified by this development, and committed to identifying anyone who would do such a thing.
I am going to leave the original story intact below and will be writing a follow-up article when more information becomes known.

11 comments:

Roger J said...

David, it sounds like you dotted your i's and crossed your t's on this. Note that the Perazzi letter you quoted did leave open the possibility that the grandson was arrested. (They also may have been concerned about damage to the company reputation.) The fact that the Adams County Sheriff's Office has not responded with a denial of an embarrassing (to them) story, while not proof, tends to support that there was an incident of some sort. In any case, your regular readers, such as myself, will stand by you.

Mark Matis said...

Thank you!

Kirk said...

Very interesting. And who, I wonder, would have the resources to put together such an elaborate hoax???

bondmen said...

Wow my mouth is wide open with surprise and I'm scratching my head in wonder. This must be an organized campaign to discredit you and your stubbornly tenacious and effective reporting, that's the only motivation that makes sense. This is a Stasi technique, no? But for "reputable" sources to play a part in this attempt and risk their reputations, for what gain? Do DOJ or DHS have the goods on these sources? Are they compromised and working to expunge past sins? In any event we will be closely following this story as it develops David.

Anonymous said...

We have your back. As Roger said, you dotted your i's and crossed your t's. That's all we can ask.

Ned said...

Looks like the Jack Boot kissers are scared shitless of David Codrea.

I hope that Parazzi SpA goes after the right people. If they do just a little homework, they'll know that you are not the enemy.

Pretty fair due diligence on DC/Examiner's part, I'd say.

BTW - IMO, it's execrable manners to use a deceased icon for political purposes. Effing cretins.

Anonymous said...

David, the Merchandise Mart is in Denver PD jurisdiction, not Adams County. It's actually Denver County. Just saying.

David Codrea said...

Anon @10:13-thanks --I acknowledged in my piece that the sources weren't sure which and it was the Denver Fox affiliate that said ACSD took him in. I've since posted another update where the source who handed this story off to me said the deputies have nor record of this, so that means it must have been either Denver PD or this never happened and someone has set up an elaborate lie, but how they snared an NRA Director and a lawyer is beyond me.

Anonymous said...

Sloppy reporting.

William Flatt said...

David, you do far more due diligence than most people in the lamestream media ever would. For that alone you should as always be commended. You are one of the most pre-eminent gun rights journalists in the country, and I know for a fact that The Powers That Be are capable and willing to engage in covert ops to discredit the alternative media (blogosphere). I also wonder if this is possibly preparatory to a larger effort to discredit independent journalists across the liberty movement. Only time will tell.

In this case, we are also working across culture and language divides, not just distance/geography. Google translate is really crude and doesn't translate nearly as well as a human translator can.

IF Perazzi is disclaiming the veracity of your reporting as a whole, and not merely a point of detail, I might suggest that the Perazzi family might have been personally threatened. I myself have had federal agents show up at my front door and tell me to 'cut it out and shut up', lest my family be brutally murdered. And they were not being especially subtle either.

Any government that is capable of murdering its own citizens indiscriminately, or threatening murder for the least compelling of reasons, is a government that cannot be trusted for anything - nor can anyone dismiss that there's anything that it wouldn't do. Recent news of multiple federal agencies targeting groups for being pro-liberty or pro-Constitution points to the fact that these agencies are all being used as political weapons of repression.

I'm sure if the Perazzi family has a gripe with anyone, it would be the police here - and the politicians who have created the climate that made this possible.

Anonymous said...

Seems like it's either a spoof story to discredit you and/or some other conservative news outlets, or a spoof story to find and crush an information leak.