Monday, August 26, 2013

More on Oath Keepers

"Militialaw's" reply comment deserves a wider read than just leaving it buried under an old post. [More]

I have further rebuttal points I could make, but I just don't have the time to tear into this right now. Oh, what the hell.

I am not one who thinks we are going to vote or sue our way out, so we're not that far apart on that assessment.  I keep going through the motions because I believe the more people we can get to go through the process and see no that relief is allowed will prove valuable.

[UPDATE PARAGRAPH: Plus, every once in a while we manage to advance or at least repel. Note the success of a critical mass relying on the old ways to keep anything from passing on the national level after Newtown -- so far. I was privy to some discussions with some industry insiders and they were convinced we would have to give up something, because Congress couldn't just do nothing. I was part of a small group that insisted we will not be scapegoated and no compromises would be quietly accepted.]

I see assertions like "OK are the only ones who have a chance of succeeding," and phrases like "crossing the Rubicon," and can't respond with knowledge because I don't think anyone knows what the catalyst event is going to be, what the individual tripwires to result in a series of cascading reactions will be, and what other factors will come to play.  And just as whatever unfolds will bring an individual decision to you and me, so will it happen with individual Oath Keepers.  

I believe the OK mission is valuable for setting up a pool of potential allies who will, in some way and due to some reason, result in some worthy allies and some worthy leaders.  I believe that is worth encouraging. Those are beliefs. Sorry, it's the best I've got, and I haven't met the man who can give better.

What I know is that Stewart Rhodes is a man of integrity. I don't agree with him on everything, and I don't agree with every decision he's made, and I'm sure he would say the same thing about me. And I also understand there are considerations that apply to an organization that do not apply to free agents like me, and I accept that, even if I don't always like the results.  But I've been  with the guy on several occasions, he's been my house guest on several others, and I'll tell you right now I would have no problem trusting him to have my back.

No comments: