Friday, September 27, 2013

We're the Only Ones Tolerant Enough

[More]
Well isn't that mighty damn nice of them.

They'll allow it--except when they don't.

I'm so glad we hire and pay people to tell us what they'll let us do, and punish us when we displease them.

Anyone curious as to what the sentiment was about such matters back in the day?

"Place the sovereignty in the PEOPLE, and all the mysteries of government which have arisen out of kingcraft and priestcraft tumble to the dust," states a passage from "One of the People," Philadelphia Federal Gazette, July 2, 1789. "What should we think of a gentleman, who, upon hiring a waiting-man, should say to him—'my friend, please to take notice, before we come together, that I shall always claim the liberty of eating when and what I please, of fishing and hunting upon my own ground, of keeping as many horses and hounds as I can maintain, and of speaking and writing my sentiments upon all subjects.' A servant must be a fool, who would not suppose such a master to be a madman... Let these truths sink deep into our hearts: that the people are the masters of their rulers and that rulers are the servants of the people..." 
How many children in public schools anywhere in America can cite a teacher or a textbook calling that to their attention? How many of you can?

I wonder if Garland County prosecuting attorney Steve Oliver ever heard it, or would care if he did.

[Via Steve D. Jones]

2 comments:

Robert Fowler said...

The pro-gun people keep asking "who is going to let me?". What they should be asking is "who is going to stop me?".

Mama Liberty said...

Seems insane idea to hire "servants" and then allow them to be "rulers" in any way, shape or form. The only "ruler" required is SELF rule, self ownership and self control.

When some people are given power over other people - regardless of the arrangement or intention - tyranny is the inevitable result.

Anyone who wishes to hire such servant/rulers is, of course, free to do so. They don't, however, have my consent to the arrangement.