Thursday, March 19, 2015

We're the Only Ones Forgetting Our Place Enough

Florida Carry, Students for Concealed Carry, the Unified Sportsmen of Florida, and the National Rifle Association learned yesterday that Florida's University Police are using public funds, your tax dollars, to lobby the legislature against the right of Floridians to defend themselves from criminal attack on any property owned by our colleges and universities. [More]
This seems as good a time as any to resurrect a passage from "One of the People," Philadelphia Federal Gazette, July 2, 1789:
"What should we think of a gentleman, who, upon hiring a waiting-man, should say to him—'my friend, please to take notice, before we come together, that I shall always claim the liberty of eating when and what I please, of fishing and hunting upon my own ground, of keeping as many horses and hounds as I can maintain, and of speaking and writing my sentiments upon all subjects.' A servant must be a fool, who would not suppose such a master to be a madman... Let these truths sink deep into our hearts: that the people are the masters of their rulers and that rulers are the servants of the people..."

1 comment:

zach said...

I was there. I'm not sure why they felt the "need' to be armed while in a "gun free" committee meeting.