Tuesday, August 04, 2015

FBI Alert?

COLORADO, FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION, WYOMING (U//FOUO) FBI Alert: Middle-Eastern Males Approaching Family Members of US Military Personnel [More]
Public Intelligence has a good reputation for not going off half-cocked and spreading spurious or unvetted stuff. Still, it pays to be cautious, for instance, documents can be forged and the best of us can be fallible, so when the alert advised "Comments and queries may be addressed to the DENVER Division at 303-629-7171," I took 'em up on it.

The guy at the switchboard put me through to their media liaison, a special agent, actually, and her voice message advised if I wanted a timely answer, to send an email.

Fair enough. I prefer things documented anyway, so I wrote:
I am a member of the news media and a field editor for GUNS Magazine. I am attempting to determine the authenticity of the SIR presented at the Public Intelligence website: https://publicintelligence.net/fbi-middle-eastern-males/ As this is already making the rounds on the internet, and evidently on the verge of gaining wider notice, the FOUO notice no longer seems much of a deterrent. Can you confirm if it is authentic?
And received back:
Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any information on the authenticity or contents of the document you sent. Our standard practice is to neither confirm nor deny investigations or comment on bulletins provided to law enforcement partners. Thank you,
Reading between the lines...

If anybody knows anyone who received this alert in an LE capacity and I can validate that, tell them I offer the same source protection guarantees the Fast and Furious guys came to trust me 'n Mike over -- not that I'm holding my breath, but I gotta try.

No comments: