Tuesday, January 12, 2016

A Few Words of Clarification on the Vanderboegh Fundraiser

When people have needed Mike,
he's been there for them.
I've seen some discussions on other sites about my fundraising effort for Mike, and unsurprisingly, some quickly devolve into ignorance, squabbling, attacks, and everything EXCEPT caring about our friend and doing the two simple things being asked for: Spread the word and make a payment acknowledging value received from his work.

I disagree with the contention that "Absolved" would be an automatic money-maker, and question the industry experience and qualifications of anyone making such an assertion. If it were, a publisher would have offered Mike an advance sufficient to complete it. As is, my sense is that without a dramatic increase in willingness to help, better odds portend a garage full of self-published boxes of books, with most sales on Kindle, and the vast majority neither spending any money OR encouraging others to check it out.

Hopefully I'm flat-out wrong and future sales of whatever product emerges will exceed wildest expectations. I don't claim a crystal ball, merely an ability to observe that anything not backed by establishment interests generally requires a committed grassroots effort.

As for the contention that Mike should have pulled back from Fast and Furious to work on the book and let someone else pick up the slack, that's just plain ignorant and comes from those who doesn't know what they're talking about. I don't  even have words, so I'm just gonna let that one go.

And did someone say "blog ads"? Revenue there is driven by page views, click-throughs and purchases, and guess what: The same people who won't help with the fundraiser won't help with that, either.

By way of a project status update, and corroborating my observations, I put out my plea for Mike four days ago -- that post, as of now, has brought in as many page views as this blog typically gets in only one day. My Facebook post only has 80 shares. My Twitter post has one retweet and two "likes."

"Profiles in Apathy" is the name of that self-defeating game, and I've seen it more times over the years than I care to recall.

But all is not negative. Far from it, thanks to a happy few.

Thank you to all who have shown leadership in this, made donations and spread the word. Just so you know, your efforts have already made a real and positive difference for Mike and Rosey, and I'm committed to growing things even more, with additional posts planned. My cynicism isn't with you, but with a majority that never lifts a finger beyond sharing discouraging opinions

Here's the deal: I didn't do this to argue with anyone about anything. I intentionally titled my appeal "Plea to All Friends of Mike Vanderboegh."

I didn't address it to anyone else. I don't care about them.

If you're not his friend, if you won't share the link and if you won't make a gratitude offering, your reasons why are neither important nor solicited here. That isn't what this is about. Go do something else and leave those of us who care about him to do our work in peace.

And if you are Mike's friend, act like one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Cordea, thanks for fighting for Mr. Vandenbourgh and his wife. As you may have noticed from my addressing both of you as Mr. it may show that I don't know either of you. However I respect the work that both of you have done and made a contribution to help out. It's small but hopefully it and the prayers that go with it make a difference.

Peter said...

Sir, I've passed the word about this fundraiser on my blog:

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2016/01/mike-vanderboegh-needs-our-help-at-end.html

I'll continue to spread the word, and link to your posts about the matter where appropriate - and, of course, I'll donate as well.

Thank you.

GamegetterII said...

The lack of interest in helping Mike and Rosey(sp) is astounding.
I also saw the conversations on several other sites that quickly devolved into idiocy- the topic was and is helping Mike and Rosey,not whether or not you agree with Mike on everything.
Now I understand why you used the qualifier "friends of Mike Vanderboegh"
I linked to your post about helping Mike,and got very view views of my post,seems very few care.
I've also looked into setting up a fundraiser,as I told you I would via e-mail,and so far can not find anything that doesn't take too much of a cut of donations.
I will keep trying to come up with a way to do a dedicated online fundraiser that sends all funds to Mike and Rosey.
Other than that,I'll keep linking to your posts and hope enough people can kick in a few dollars that it helps Mike and Rosey.

David Codrea said...

Which is precisely why the excuse that all he needs to do is finish the book is just that. Thanks to all who have not made excuses or just looked the other way and figured it'd never come back to them. It always does somehow.

Anonymous said...


David, your article and request has been published on at least one other gun board that I've seen. Hopefully it will net some results.

I'll be at Mike's on Friday morning 5 Feb, coming from Kentucky with tools in hand and ready to work.

Thanks for putting out the word.

Historian said...

TANSTAAFL, folks. Freedom is not free, and Mike has been picking
up our tab for far too long. Soon, he will be gone. How will you
pay your moral debt to him then?
If you have gotten value from Mike's work, show it. Now.
"Applause that matters is green, and folds."

Dig deep. Think about the value you have gotten, and pay the price
your conscience demands. I disagree with Mike about some things
but I cannot deny his work and his example has made a material difference
in my life. I sent him a check, but you can use Paypal, too. Then do as I did and post links and encourage others to help, too.
"Many hands make light work." Pay your tab, and spread the word.


Anonymous said...

I just donated some money and ordered him some new AR mags. Everyone else should do the same. Thanks for making us aware, david.