Monday, February 18, 2019

I Feel Your Pain

It seems these bouts of censorship are likely caused by liberal Facebook users marking articles as "spam." The social media company later removed the blocks, but censoring articles in the hours after their publication does a serious disservice in the news industry, where fresh information has the most pertinent impact. [More]
What this means, as I've discussed when it happens to me, is that I have been sent a friend request by an enemy intent on disrupting and hampering the sharing of my work.  And I've told Facebook that.

Because I only use "social media" to promote my work, I never send out "friend" requests, I only accept them. That's because I don't want to solicit acceptance and then abuse that with self-promotion. If my stuff shows up on anyone's feed but my own, it's on them, not me.

Ideally, I'd like to see complaining rats outed, but realistically I'd settle for Facebook removing that person from access to stuff I post. That they don't -- especially after being contacted numerous times -- tells me they want to enable such disruption.

On the plus side, yes, it's a PITA, but it also creates a Streisand Effect by calling more attention to what the trolls are trying to suppress.

No comments: