Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Stop the Hate



A handful of well-heeled hometown snowflakes made a point of holding a public virtue-signaling where the space could not be safer. [More]

White people of privilege wouldn't be quite so tolerated a few miles north.

Hudson is an old abolitionist town. I live a short walk away from John Brown's old tannery farm, a street is named after his father, and much of the family is interred in a local boneyard. Locals take great pride in telling stories about townspeople taking slave catchers prisoner and putting them on trial, and even though much of the town is still moderately moderate Republican, they place great stock in being regarded as "progressively" tolerant.  There's probably nothing that would horrify them more than being accused of racism, which makes me find humor in the one unsatisfactory grade their public schools got from the state, where they excelled at everything but "diversity." (I posted on this a few years back and have to go back when I have more time to see if I can find that link.)

Meanwhile, I got a call from my kid brother the other day, concerned because he was on the road and had heard rumblings of looting at the local mall, not all that far from his house. He wanted to know if my feelers had picked up anything.  Turns out it was just a jewelry store smash and grab, that is, just a bit of "symbolic taking" by justice-demanding people we are told are incapable of racism.

1 comment:

Henry said...

I foresee a lot of "symbolic plinking" in our futures.