Thursday, March 16, 2006

Paging Jeremy's Mother...

The East Orange, NJ Police Department is getting ready to greatly enlarge its ranks, with what's being called the "Virtual Community Patrol."

Soon-to-be-chosen residents will get access to a a Web site that provides panoramic views of their block, allows them to type in general complaints, pinpoint a problem location, immediately send that information to police headquarters, and simultaneously activate hidden police surveillance cameras, Police Director Jose Cordero said.
If you don't understand the title reference, it's because you haven't read RebelFire 1.0: Out of the Gray Zone.

Why not?

What's stopping you?

[Drudge link via John Schaefer]

5 comments:

E. David Quammen said...

Why not?

Well, for me anyways '1984',
'Enemy of the State', (if you haven't seen the movie, I'd strongly advise that you do). and 'Enemies, Foreign and Domestic' were sufficient for me to draw conclusions.

Not to mention the various assorted and sundry books on the topic of Waco. And lets, of course, not forget the topic of the OKC bombing(s). Yes, I meant bombingS.

Proofs are sufficient.

There has already been MORE THAN ENOUGH, for me anyways. If you get my drift.

Not to mention THE COMPLETE DISREGARD OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION.

Anonymous said...

This is a brilliant book. Dismissing it out of hand because you've read other books does a disservice to the originality of RebelFire--which I guarantee you explores concepts the other books do not--and it does a disservice to a brilliant lady who tirelessly supports liberty and deserves out patronage. I just don't get it. We complain no one supports freedom, and when someone steps forward and does, we find reasons not to encourage them to continue.

Or will we insist that our great writers of today remain unacknowledged until after they are gone?

Anonymous said...

Ah, what wouldn't Gladys Kravitz have given for this system?

It's the sort of thing that could make one invest in a quality paint-ball gun.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me? Or does anonymous seem to have prostested strongly against a stance that wasn't taken?

e.david, did I read you wrong? I thought you were buttressing the point, not critiquing the book. Or is anonymous reading you wrong?

E. David Quammen said...

straightarrow - you got it right, my friend. (BTW, Your powers of observation, are duly recognized and applauded).

Thought the inclusion of "Well, for me anyways" was qualifying. Followed up by "were sufficient for me to draw conclusions." Guess I was mistaken.

I scour the web, looking for ANYTHING concerning Freedom and Rights.