Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Tragedy in Lindale

Authorities said a 4-month-old baby died Tuesday after her father, a Lindale Police Department reserve sergeant, left her in his pickup in a parking lot outside City Hall.
I can't bring myself to come up with a sarcastic "Only Ones" title for this tragic story, but couldn't not post about it because, like the other examples we've presented, it illustrates how law enforcers are no more competent at life--or less prone to the consequences of thoughtlessness--than the society they spring from. Some will note no arrest has been made, as would probably happen if an "ordinary" citizen was involved.

Yeah, I guess, just to be consistent in principle. But in this case, I'm not sure what additional punishment could be meted out to make a difference. If I was this man, perhaps I'd have hanged myself by now rather than live on with the horror, the grief and the guilt.

[Thanks to Blackfork]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no punishment this man can suffer worse than what he has sentenced himself to.

But isn't it damned convenient that in this specific case the authorities agree with me? Isn't that a huge departure from their usual viewpoint? Wonder what could account for it?

Hopefully this sonofabitch doesn't have any other children to get a pass on.