Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Vigilante Logger Takes Law Into Own Hands

A Rhinelander logger told authorities he may have wounded attackers who repeatedly fired shots at him while on a job site west of Tomahawk last Wednesday.
I dunno, Mr. Van Meter.

Did you clear it with Terry Hastings first?

This isn't the Old West, you know.

UPDATE: See "Comments" to this post--it appears this is an old story, that for some reason appeared on my news search--and now questions have been raised as to whether or not the account given was credible, including allegations that wounds may have been self-inflicted. I'll try to track this down when I get more time--meanwhile, if anyone has further relevant information, please feel free to add a comment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The actual title doesn't say "Vigilante", and I didn't see it in the article anywhere. The article seemed to read as a straight-forward self-defense case. Why did you choose to use the word in your title, David?

David Codrea said...

Because guns kill?

Tongue in cheek, RJ, tongue in cheek.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. Got it.

Anonymous said...

Another reason to keep a cheap large calibre surplus rifle in the trunk.

Kill eco-terrorists ... don't just run them off with short ranged weapons.

Anonymous said...

Thats a pretty old article. Turns out the guy lied to the authorities about self inflicted wounds. If I recall correctly he did the same thing in Minnesota.

David Codrea said...

Y'know, "Cheesehead", something about this felt funny when I posted it--I did some checking on the guy's name and found a version from April of this year, along with a discussion thread at FreeRepublic--so you're right, it's an old story--wonder why it turned up as a fresh story on my news search--either the paper got snookered or perhaps a site update made the Google webcrawlie thingies think this was a new post...

In any case, I'll keep an eye out for updates--particularly involving self-inflicted wounds. Anyone with info, please chime in.

Anonymous said...

Here are a couple useful links.
http://rhinelanderdailynews.com/articles/2006/04/28/news/local_news/news01.txt
http://www.tomahawkleader.com/cgi-bin-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001020;p=

By the way, great site, I read it at least twice a day.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see my hometown's name on your page, but then I realized it was the Van Meter story...everyone in the area, Oneida County Sherriffs Dept. included consider Homer to be one of our crazier residents. There were some major questions raised as to his sanity recently and the consensus is that he fabricated the entire story. I even met him once while he was still married to one of my teachers in High School...well, keep up the good work!