Saturday, March 17, 2007

Unintended Consequences

From "TF":
I recently finished reading "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross, and it really lit the fire of revolution (hypothetically, of course :) in my belly. I want to get others to read this, but was kind of surprised that the book was kind of hard to find, and thusly not read by a portion of the gun owner population. I've been trying to get people to read the book, but they're turned off by the size. While I was also turned off by the size, when I heard that the F troop tried to stop its publishing, and threatened sellers (documented) my interest was piqued. Once I started, I couldn't put it down and hundreds of pages flew by.

...I think much of the gunny population would benefit by a reminder of the incredibly important piece of literature some of them are missing.

Right you are, TF. I read it when it first came out, before I'd started this blog or began writing for magazines. So now is as good a time as any to remind everyone of this important book, one that I believe will still be relevant and timely for many years to come.

And if you haven't seen it, Mr. Ross has an FAQ page that will benefit both those who have and have not yet read his book.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Size? So is it something large like War and Peace, or more like one of those tracts that get handed out on street corners? Also, who is 'F troop'? The BATFU? The Frady Bunch?

I've obviously missed something...

David Codrea said...

If you click on the title link, you'll see it's 863 pages.

As for F Troop, it's not an uncommon designation on gun forums and blogs for ATF. If you go to the FAQ link I provided, you'll see that Ross' attorney had to write them to complain about harassment of himself, his wife and book dealers, along with a link to a Free Republic thread that posts the letter and discusses what happened.

Anonymous said...

I read it twice, and am cosnsidering a third time. It is an EXCELLENT book about a theoretical second American Revolution.

tkdkerry, I often call the ATF "BATFEces", pronounced, "batfeces", as in guano.

Anonymous said...

It is indeed an excellent book.

Speaking of Ross, it's been almost a year since his last column. Anyone know what happened to him? Is he OK? Busy, sick, what?

--James

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I have not read the book. However, I am very familiar with the concept.

Some of our Only Ones are setting themselves up for UC and don't seem to be aware that that is the case.

Success of the likes of Shumer, Clinton and Pelosi will be their failure. Yet, they can't see the dangers they are building for the republic.

will check out the link tonight,and see where I can get a copy. I read more pages than that damn near daily. I have wanted the book, but have not run across it, when I remembered I wanted it. Old age really really sucks pondwater.

Lemuel Calhoon said...

I read it back when it first came out. It was a very good read.

Anonymous said...

I just got it from Amazon and was spurred to read it from a comment on The High Road forum. I only heard that it was a "must read". It wasn't hard to find at all but it is a lot bigger than I thought it was. People having trouble finding Amazon.com?

David Codrea said...

James, I link to Ross's site in this post where you can find out his latest news.

Anonymous said...

James,

I think John's just been busy. If you go over to MissouriCarry.com (http://www.missouricarry.com) you'll see in the forums that he's going to be hosting a picnic at his range sometime soon (I'm on the wrong side of the state and so am not planning to attend). If you're in range you might want to see about coming - he let's people play with the good toys.

Anonymous said...

David, you know I have read this one when it first came out and at least ½ dozen times in total as well as purchasing a few for friends and family...