Thursday, April 05, 2007

Damsels in Distress

Charles Williams, who works in technology services for Turner, saw a man dragging a woman by the hair one level above where the shooting occurred. The man told him to get out of the way. Williams went to get a guard, and then saw the man apparently take the woman downstairs. He heard gunshots less than a minute later.
Then there's this account:
The witness, who had gone to get help from a guard, then heard the gunfire...

John Helton, a CNN.com producer, had a direct view of the gunman through glass doors. "I saw him coming down the escalator pulling her along, around the corner; he ran into the plant and that's when they started struggling," he said...Helton said the woman appeared to be shot at point-blank range. "He looked like he had the gun right on top of her head and shot her."

After the shots, CNN.com writer Brad Lendon said, the gunman "looked around, his head turning in my direction. I don't know if he saw me, but at that moment the gravity of what I'd witnessed hit me. I turned away and tried to find the safest way I could out."

The gunman was then shot by Capt. Odell Adams, who joined Turner Security in 1996, according to a spokesperson for Turner, the parent company for CNN.
Once members of the citizen militia no longer realize that's what they are, dismiss and disparage the concept of being part of one, and have no intention of being prepared to protect even themselves much less their communities at large, they're in no position to become anything but victims or escapees in a time when a defense-minded citizen is exactly what is needed. The herd bolts and runs while the predator brings down its prey.

"Men" seek other men to save them, that is, to have the others put their lives at risk because they will not.

And what did it take to stop the killer? A man with a gun. As usual.

[Via Andre]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps if they had had two policies against firearms on company property this wouldn't have happened. They need to pass another "no guns" policy right away to keep tragedies like this from ever happening again.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

I guess the Illinois State Police would say that the victim's mistake was that she didn't vomit.

Anonymous said...

I work in an area where firearms are prohibited by State law, as well as company policy.

I no longer care.

My worksite has a large number of both very soft targets and high-value property, all of which is "protected" by elderly, unarmed "security guards" who usually serve as messengers and delivery boys when they aren't chasing the homeless out of the lobby. So, I carry a small .380 concealed in a pocket holster, loaded with CorBon DPX.

If I am ever forced to shoot to defend my life, or that of a co-worker, I will be chewed up and spit out by the State, just like Wayne Fincher.

99% of my co-workers are sheep, and will not lift a finger to defend themselves, much less me.

I have a strong inclination to let those who refuse to help themselves go to hell on their own little red wagon, but some of them are truly helpless, and completely vulnerable, so I have dedicated my life, my property, and my sacred honor to the protection of all these people.

I will defend them, worthy or not. I will not lay down my life for them because of what they are.

I will do it because of what I am.

Thanks to David Codrea and E. David Quammen for showing me the light. God Bless.

E. David Quammen said...

Gaviota - Appreciate the sentiment. Don't know about David, but as for me. You would do well to thank God instead. I am merely a laborer who dug up ageless Truth, (That was purposefully buried by tyrannical minions of hell). Am just the messenger of an eternal Natural Truism.

If enough people took the same stance as you. The perverse business property owners, and usurping government. Would have no other choice than to back down. For it would then become a matter of their own Self-Preservation. You know, the First Law of Nature.....

David Codrea said...

Thanks Gaviota, but I agree with EDQ. We probably just confirmed what you already intuitively knew--I think all people who sincerely seek the truth recognize it when they see it. If you think we contributed in some way to your current belief system, pay it forward. Pass along the benefit of what you have learned to others. Who knows? You may be the person we end up going to for confirmation.