Saturday, November 24, 2007

Naivete

"Parents are so naive," Jiggetts said. "They have to understand that it's not OK to have guns in their houses unless they are locked."

Yeah, right.

I've managed to raise two children just fine, and so have millions of others. Point being, by the time a boy is 14, a household that practiced true "gun safety" would have produced a marksman capable of giving the old man a run for his money.

And by the way--who did the shotgun belong to? How the hell do you investigate the death of a child without determining that?

This may seem harsh--I can't imagine this woman's agony. But my natural sympathy is tempered by seeing her point her finger outward, and that does nothing but help empower those intent on placing mandates over the rest of us who had nothing to do with this.

It also provides fodder for "Authorized Journalists" like Luz Lazo and Julian Walker to appeal to the weak-minded among their readers with another agenda-driven sob story, so that even more reason-free, feelings-based edicts can be demanded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Lemee see -- when I was growing up, almost all of the houses that I played at as a child had guns in them, and at least one was always loaded.

We all knew better than to "play" with these guns.

Oh, and we knew the difference between our toy guns and the real McCoy.

But then we had all kinds of "dangers" around us and still we survived.

And I never ever heard anyone speak of taking a gun to school and shooting the place up.

Guess everyone was naive - they trained their kids with guns, and no one ever got shot or hurt.

Anonymous said...

My grandfather raised 6 kids, my father raised 3, I've raised 4, one son & one daughter have 1 apiece, and NONE of us have had any accidents, injuries, or fatalities with our many guns.

My family has shot trap, skeet, rifle, and pistol since the early 1920's, and we have LOTS AND LOTS of guns. No child in my family has ever shot a relative, neighbor, friend, or schoolmate.

With this many people in my statistical sample, I'm thinking this is not a random sequence of events.

I can only imagine this woman's pain, and I'm sorry for the children, but raising a child today in a knowlege-and-responsibility-free environment is just plain stupid.

And stupidity SHOULD be painful.

Sorry if that's harsh, but there y'are.