Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Guest Editorial

Senator Wolk’s SB 707 endangers our schools [More]
Mike Wood is taking advantage of a forum too few gun owners even consider, let alone do anything about: Getting the truth out in front of a readership that normally only sees one side.

I've long advocated that gun owners write op-ed pieces and even shorter letters to the editor.  The only caution is to first make sure editorial guideline requirements are understood, such as word limits, and consider some basic tips for upping the likelihood of getting published.

This type of activism is rewarding and fun. I encourage everyone who posts comments on blogs, in forums and on social media to put some of that knowledge and passion into productive outreach efforts like we see here.

There's one other thing we can do: When you put something out there under your own name, you're in a very real sense putting yourself out there. I note the editorial takes comments. I'd like to see some supportive ones.

1 comment:

The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit said...

One of my prized possessions is a letter from The Portland Oregonian complaining that I had somehow managed to have 14 letters to the editor printed in one year, and that 13 of them were about firearms. The paper's policy was "four per year." The letter did not, however,explain how it was MY fault that they'd printed so many of my letters.....