Monday, April 06, 2020

Speaking in the Old Tongue

New Jersey desperately needs COBOL Programmers. That’s what the State’s Governor, Phil Murphy, apparently meant today, when he said at a press conference that the State needed volunteers who with “Cobalt” computer skills to help fix 40-year-old-plus unemployment insurance systems that are currently overwhelmed as a result of COVID-19-related job losses. [More]
At 62, Murphy's been around long enough to where that mistake is pretty much inexcusable for someone who had a career in finance. It makes me wonder what else he's faked his way through, along with who he knew, who he blew and who he screwed.

The wife has made a good living as a contractor with COBOL and other archaic skill sets over the last 3+ decades.  It's surprising how many have not transitioned. She'll be wrapping up her current assignment in August. I'll show her this for info, but I ain't moving to New Jersey.

[Via Henry Bowman]

8 comments:

David Neylon said...

It's the "volunteer" part that I don't like. I'm 68 and I'm go want money to do anything for New Jersey.

Dad29 said...

Why we ever gave up Assembler on the mainframes is a mystery.

Anonymous said...

Lol at cobalt

Anonymous said...

1) It looks good on them.
2) "It's the "volunteer" part that I don't like. I'm 68 and I'm go want money to do anything for New Jersey."
VOLUNTEERS? He wants old people to voluntarily fix the result of 50 years of Democrat incompetence out of the goodness of their hearts? At their own expense no doubt.
What color is the sky on his planet?
I wouldn't piss on New Jersey if it was on fire...

Anonymous said...

Somewhere Rear Admiral Grace Hopper is smiling, and probably sill handing out the short pieces of wire she called "nanoseconds."

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eyFDBPk4Yw

David Codrea said...

What a great woman. She actually made me laugh out loud.

Tangentially related, my wife and I are members of the International Women's Air & Space Museum and Adm. Hopper reminded me of another female pioneer, the extraordinary Wally Funk, who came out and gave us a most entertaining talk, and whose positive disposition does not reflect the bitterness she would be entirely justified to feel.

Mack said...

I'm am SO GLAD I'm not the only one that remembers Rear Admiral Grace Hopper.

"This is a nanosecond."

I always round to One Foot.