Thursday, March 11, 2021

Daily Defense Redux

Today’s guest is David Codrea. Topic is felons and gun possession! 
My conversation with Armed American Radio's Mark Walters revolved around My recent AmmoLand article, "Some ‘Gun Rights Leaders’ are Endorsing the Absolute Wrong Idea on Fighting Crime." I'm still getting some pushback from proponents who believe me to be unclear on the intent of developing legislation they support because it is being written to apply to violent repeat offenders. I understand that, but it looks like I'll probably have to write a follow-up in the near future to elaborate on why I still think it's a bad idea, regardless.


1 comment:

Mack said...

If you do a follow-up, please feature Orrin Hatch’s 10-20-Life amendment. https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library/us-presidential-candidates-differ-widely-on-issues-2789
When it come to the GOP saying "enforce existing gun laws" the prototype for this is Orrin Hatch.

He apparently believed that he could curry favor with the gun control lobby if only we got really tough on sentencing.

He said this during a debate. Here is his plan:

10-20-Life plan: harsh penalties for gun use

Hatch described what he calls the “Hatch 10-20-life” plan, which says anyone who commits a felony while in possession of a gun should be sentenced to 10 years in prison. Someone who fires a gun while committing a felony would get 20 years, and someone who harms or kills someone would get life in prison.

* https://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Orrin_Hatch_Crime.htm

Here is the actual transcript, which I've read numerous times over the years:

* https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/pmextra/oct99/29/goptranscript102999.htm

[SNIP]
Next question here for Sen. Hatch. Please tell us your name and where you're from.

Q: My name is Chris Miller, and I'm from Alstead, N.H. And I'd like to hear the senator's position on Second Amendment rights, and if elected, what his policy would be toward the recent wave of litigation facing the firearms industry.

<<>