Monday, October 25, 2021

A Feature, Not a Bug?

[Open in new tab to enlarge]

This warning suddenly appeared when I was trying to access this site yesterday. I've had other readers in the past tell me they've seen it before, too. I bring it up because this may have happened to you and I don't want people scared away from coming here.

The thing is, look up in the address bar, it does say "https." And after proceeding, the warning went away. The other thing is, I have purchased a "waronguns.com" redirect because telling people a url with "Blogspot" in the middle makes it more likely to screw up, but I did not use the redirect and somehow the browser defaulted to it.

Forgive me for wondering if there may be some intent to steer people away behind it all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons." -- Winston Churchill

In that vein, as I have pointed out before, even the vilest of scumbags occasionally says something worth quoting. So without further ado:

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.”
— Woody Allen

And another:

"The question is not whether I'm paranoid, it's whether I'm paranoid enough. -- Woody Allen

Long story short, Check Six.

Henry said...

The https: signifies only that you asked for a secure connection, and the error message informs you you couldn't get one.
Secure connections are mediated by security certificates. These certificates are not permanent, and expire and need to be automatically renewed on a regular basis. The certificate for your site is issued for roughly two months at a time (check here) and was last issued on October 4. Because of caching that happens on servers and browsers, occasionally a browser will attempt to contact a website with the last known good certificate and fail -- at which point the new, valid certificate will be refetched for you and all will be fine again, but you may see that single error. I suspect this is what you are seeing. See if you notice it again just after Christmas.

Mack said...

" I have purchased a "waronguns.com" redirect ..."

What a great purchase -- thank you!

Now you shouldn't be punished for this.