Friday, May 25, 2007

We're the Only Ones Not Clicking it Enough

I know--you're not required to wear a seat belt on private property. The reason I included this post is, the other day I drove by one of those "Click it or Ticket" billboards warning us if we did not employ state-approved personal safety devices, enforcers would take us hostage and kill us if we resisted. Simultaneously, a radio spot was playing with the same message, and at the end of it, an announcer said something to the effect of "Brought to you by the US Department of Transportation."

And that got me to thinkin': Where the hell is the Constitutional authority for fedgov to be spending money on this? And why is it me and everyone I personally know will labor for the rest of our lives and not be able to sustain the cost of this boondoggle via the extorted fruits of our labors, and this is but one obscure little tentacle...

Republicans have been traditionally supported by the conservative-minded under certain assumptions: smaller government, less taxes, protective of sovereignty, supportive of gun ownership, those kinds of things...

I look at the current crop of traitors leading the pack and I look at "The Only One" currently behind the wheel and fear the sell-out is damn near complete.

[Via WmH]

4 comments:

Yuri Orlov said...

It is my understanding that if you're on private property, you don't have to wear a seat belt. In addition, you also don't have to license or register a car, nor get a drivers license if the car and/or driver will never go onto public roads.

David Codrea said...

Yuri, read the very first sentence of my post.

But since they're touting this as safety--for our own good, meaning if we know what's good for us--it's purty dang hypocritical of the guy ultimately in charge of the program to not "set an example," regardless of where he is.

By the same token, I don't consider it hypocritical to admit I do the same thing--because I don't advocate mandatory compulsory do what we say or we'll kill you safety edicts.

Anonymous said...

You better not drink and drive on your own property. Man in Ky. was convicted of it, even though he wasn't in the vehicle, he was on his own land. The Ky. Supreme Court upheld his conviction because you never knew when he would decide to go careening down a public highway.

No shit! I submit that the panel are child molesters, you never know when they will pass a school yard and go wild. Regardless the conviction stuck.

Yuri Orlov said...

Oops! Sorry about that David! I guess my brain wasn't completely in gear when I typed that.